Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom made volkswagon powered 8x8 with sea doo pump

I was very happy with the testing so far. I have plugged the first leaks from the jet pump, they leaked from not sealing permantly the pump to hull. Reason pump work is still needed. The hose connections with no hose on them actually suck water from the hull when the pump is pumping. First test today 2 cups of water in the hull. Second test 1 cup from being splashed over the fender into the hull by the tire rotation. It sat lower in the water than i expected but still has 17" inc. fender out of the water. The tires seem to add 0 to the flotation. After rocking the vehicle I tried to swim the tires in 4th gear to much motor bog then tried 3rd they did better but still boged down shifted to 2nd gear and the rpm came up just then the tires caught on the rocks and I pulled out of the deep. So you all saw that these tires do swim. (some) wound out 3 rd gear comming home and hit 30 mph. Learned to steer softly at high speed, If I just feather the steering wheel for 3 or 4 seconds it changes direction like a car. climbed out of the river in 2nd gear just feathering the gas. Took the wife for her first ride I will need ear muffs she screamed every sharp turn. She takes good videos though.

Chris thats an awesome machine you came up with. Its like the first versions of the Land Tamer, fine job on the fabrication, and I agree that motor with those headers sounds bad to the bone. The beauty of a long, fairly wide machine is that they are remarkably stable.
    It just shows what American ingenuity is capable of. Rock on dude!

chris davison

Yes, I imagine it was quite unnerving at first for her. The mufflers that you have on Walley sure sound sweet! I,m now looking foward to your next test in deep water.

Just got back from an exploring trip up river We crossed over to the other side to a dry tributary that comes into the white river where its to deep for trucks or quads had to float from momentum than catch tires on the other side. My wife had a good time picking up fossiles found in the rocks. When comming back I wound it out in first to hit the water hard enough to float across it created a bow wave tall enough to come in over the bow. All in all we had a good time she only screamed two or three times.

Awsome job Chris!

I forgot to say how the brakes work now that I did all that work reinforcing the caliper plates. I havent noticed any more movement and the steering has gotten even tighter. I can push the vehicle in neutral but just as soon as I give 5 detrees of steering wheel movement the brakes begin to grip. Im not going to try it but I think I could spin sideways at 25 and just slide sideways. The foot pedal brakes work fine they can lock up all the tires at any speed. Just made some drawings for pump drive and will start soon.

Finally found and installed a voltage regulator for my ebay 55 amp alternator. Was'nt sure it was the right one but with engine off the batt is 12.56 vdc. With it running and 260 watts of lights on its 14.3 vdc this means I can run at night now. No more charging the batt for test runs. I'm going to get the plugs, wires, points, condenser, cap and rotor for this engine also to tune it up.

chris davison

Sounds great Chris. How soon can we expect a deep water test with the jet pump running?

Its extremely unusual for an alternator not to have an internal voltage regulator.

The old generators do need a separate regulator, but not usually alternators.

Anyway, your voltages are bang on now. Looking forward to seeing her (him?) lit up.

This Alternator is one of the first generation generator replacements for air cooled VWs but just as you say they are now all internally regulated. Its real neat to see the lights so bright now. There are four 55 watt head lights two red rear 10 watt lights and one 55 watt light looking to the rear. Im not sure when the water pump test will be maby Ill head down to the Machine shop this week with some parts.

+ Reply to Thread