Auxiliary transmission for Max T20

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Auxiliary transmission for Max T20

I know I had an old riding mower that had a 2 speed transmission in it, Hi/Lo F/N/R but i cant remember the manufacture.
    there is one on EBay that may work for you it is item# 180607159985 or 180605979880 or 200530859863 or 350425293933
    The last one has an open deferential that allows you to lock up one side. Magnatrac used them in their MT1800 to MT3000 Mini dozer's.
    I have a MT1800 with this transmission and it operates like a skid-steer. It is possible to use this instead of the T20 but you will need to make an adapter for the input shaft.

The transaxle in my MT1800 works just like this
    Last edited by FREQ42; 12-31-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: aded vidio

tripletriple, I would sure like to know the dimentions on that transfer case when you get the chance. What kind of parasitic loss do you guys think I would have if I ran that Suzuki transfer case between a 20 hp Kohler and a T20? Think it would suck a lot of power? The low range would sure be nice for crawling or towing.

FREO42 Thank you for the info, but I'm not interested in replacing the T20, only putting some sort of reduction box between it and the engine.

A tiny 3 speed with direct in high would be perfect. Does anybody out there have an idea?

I think the transfer case idea would work, but there has to be a more readily available one to use. One from an S-10, or Ranger/Explorer should work. They do bolt directly to the trans, but have separate fluid so the input HAS a seal. The linkage to shift it is also a concern.....these have electric motors and can be shifted on the fly most of the time.
    Imagine running around in hi gear, halfway up a steep hill you bog, flip a switch and crawl the rest of the way up. Some custom machine work would have to be done, and they are more like 60-70 lbs. I'll check on gear ratios next week.

the Suzuki Samurai T-case are realy small, have sealed input/output and you won't have to mess with an internal differential
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Hey Smog, The problem is Suzuki's are very rare in these parts. I think I've seen 2 in my life. Car-part.com links to most of the salvage yards in the country (that are very big anyway), they only list a few, and they are pricey. My buddy owns a salvage yard and had a samuri in it, but with the price of steel up and little demand for parts I'd have to check to see if he crushed it or not. The GM and Ford t-cases are very common and cheap.

What about the power it would take to turn a full sized transfer case? Seems like that would drain alot of power out of a 20 hp motor. My wife has an Explorer, transfer case is pretty good sized in it. As of right now, the after market Harley transmission is beginning to look pretty good. At least I know it wouldn't take much power to turn it. Low gear is 2.9 to 3.2 to 1 depending on ratios chosen.

greg pinion

If you could find a harley transmission that was,nt too pricy, I,d think this might be your best choice because of the size. These transmissions are easy to buy through the harley after market, and the transmission output shaft sprocket can be bought in different numbers of teetth.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Greg, the 3 speed manual transmission that Ford put in their '66 Mustang had a removable bell housing and was a fairly compact unit. I went to check dimensions on it for you ,but after spending about a half hour looking for the one that belongs with my wife's '66, I have discovered that it is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND! Can you sayMAD!!!

The MIL had given a relative of theirs permission to haul off some scrap iron recently, and apparently they took it -along with the undercarriage and running gear for a struck mini loader that I wanted to keep!!! I already knew about the loader, but just now discovered that the 3 speed was gone also!

Anyhow, you may want to check out the transmission they used, I'm sure the Mustang wasn't the only of their cars they used it in.

DANG!!!!
    Last edited by brushcutter; 01-01-2011 at 02:24 PM.

How about an ATV HI/LOW T-case? EBay #200179876413

I thought about that, but it doesn't appear to be a "stand alone" box with an input and output shaft. If I we could find a little T20 sized or smaller, transfer case type gearbox, with a 1:1 high and 2:1 low, with an input shaft and output shaft, I'll bet several people on this forum will be interested. I haven't given up. Help me keep looking guys!

+ Reply to Thread