Hustler 980 BIGFOOT

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 BIGFOOT

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It is a beast. I had a tough time trying to move it around by myself. It does resemble an older Corvette a lot......it is also similar to the shape of the Scrambler too. It has a Briggs Industrial/Commercial opposed twin 694cc 18HP engine. It is the stock engine. I am very glad that Tard Hand didnt hack that body up to try to fit a big block Chevy in there! I am actually very surprised as to how stock it is. I got the transmission, engine, and 4 out of the 6 axles out already and I must say that Hustlers are the are one of the easiest machines that I have ever worked on. All the parts just unbolted just as if they were put together last week. Everything is very accessable and it is built strong. Tomorrow the frame is coming out and then getting sandblasted sometime next week. I am going to put new seals in the transmission, paint the frame and rims, and then put the new chains and bearings in it and it should be all set to go. I will have many more pictures up soon.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Nice Brit JP I have 2 but they are getting really old. Yours looks like its ready to hop in that hustler and find some birds.

Mike

Thanks, I appreciate that. He's my helper when it comes to working on my 6 wheelers and he comes out riding with me, although he much prefers to run and explore rather than ride. He is actually 11 now and he still has the energy of a pup. Brits are good dogs, very smart, very fast, and they love the water.

I made a lot of progress on the BIGFOOT restoration today. All of the axles are out, the frame is out and ready to be sandblasted, the engine and transmission are removed, and my friend and I are using his pressure washer to clean the tub out tonight. Here are some pics of the progress.
    Attached Images
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Jeff, you don't mess around man! I'm glad that everything came apart so easily for you.

Thanks Mike. It doesnt always work out that way, but Hustler must have used some sort of never-seize type coating on all of their axles and sprockets. It is now downpouring here and I cant do too much else until tomorrow on the machine.

I made some more progress on the Hustler again today. The tub has been pressure washed and its super clean inside. Before it was filled with black sludge that I thought would have stained the tub, but it didnt luckily. Every little piece on the frame was stripped off to prepare it for sandblasting next week. I might have to put this little project on hold until after Ledges. This week I am going to try and finish up the little stuff thats left to do on my Attex racer. I will have videos of the testing of both machines as soon as they are done.

The Hustler restoration is moving along very quickly. I am also working on rebuilding 2 Max II's right now so I have been very busy with 6 wheelers. got very lucky today. The last part that I was missing on my Hustler was located at Recreatives Industries. It was the disc parking brake that goes onto the right hand side of the T-20. There were two old T-20 case halves on the shelf near RI's transmission section of the factory and while walking through to purchase parts with Don and Hydromike, Don said to me, "Don't you need that." And I looked up and there it was. I didnt even see it there. At one point someone must have sent their T-20 out of their Hustler there for new T-20 case halves and they didnt want their old ones. WHAT LUCK THAT WAS! Anyways, all my metal parts have been grinded down sanded and painted, the T-20 has been rebuilt, although I am going to go back in it and do main input shaft bearings just to be safe. The engine runs like a champ and the tin work on it has been painted. The brushes in the starter were no good so I ordered a new one on ebay, dirt cheap and it should arrive tomorrow. I have all my inner bearings ready to bolt on, and my outter bearings are arriving in at Buffalo Bearing on Friday. Next on the list will be getting the frame all set and dropping it in the tub when I get it sometime this week from the place doing the sandblasting, running fuel lines, building some seats with nice cushy foam and marine vinyl, installing axles, sprockets, and chains, and then it should be set! So far so good

Hustler engine.jpg

Hustler t20.jpg

hustler bearings.jpg

hustler metal parts.jpg

It's lookin' good JP. I thought the RIM was big, but the BIGFOOT is in a different league. If it turns out that the flat briggs doesn't provide enough power to accommodate your driving style, I've been looking at some of the liquid cooled Kohlers V-twins around. If that darn G50B in the RIM didn't run so well I'd consider throwing one in there. As soon as you get the pig finished, we'll have to take the fat kids out for a test ride. I think that the gas line trails would be a fun test of them both.

~M
    Last edited by hydromike; 08-02-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: I spelled "accommodate", and "consider" wrong and used the wrong "there" at least once.

Jeff, you are moving fast man! It won't be long and we will be seeing video of that thing in action. I can't wait to hear how it performs.

I just got my Hustler frame back from the place that did the sandblasting today, and it turned out great. Its like new, and they painted it with some brown industrial primer like stuff they use to prime heavy equipment or bridges. It looks like pretty tough paint/sealer. I just finished painting the frame with semi gloss Rustoleum and I am now waiting for it to dry so I can put on my inner bearings, T-20, engine, etc. It took a very long time to paint that frame especially compared to Max II, Max IV, and Attex frames that I have done in the past. It is probably because as you can see, the Hustler frame has lots of cross members and other pieces of metal on it to reinforce it. So far so good!

hustler frame painted.jpg
    Last edited by jpswift1; 08-03-2007 at 07:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread