Custom Exhaust

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Exhaust

Thanks Mike, begining to remember bits and pieces of conversation you and I had I believe at Busco about the Max. I seem to remember you mentioning just butting the pipes up and welding around but didn't recall how the bends were done and what specific mat'l was used.

Joe.

Hey Joe, I got a brand new 23 Kohler Command for my Superchief too. I'm in the same boat as you are when it comes to exhaust. I'm contemplating a couple different options at this point. I'm probably going to have an opening on the engine cover like the Attex Tomahawk did and then route the exhaust out there. This way I can use my tracks too. We'll have to kick this idea around some more and think what we can come up with.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Jeff, hows it goin? In the "Attex 6x6 Picture Thread", first post ,2nd pic. of ST/295. The engine cover on mine is very similar/identical to that. The rect.holes are cut out bigger yet. I vision setting up the exhaust to exit up thru the left side opening in a manner which will allow the cover to swing in its original hardware to open(again,vision). I see the right side opening being used for some type of oil cooler and compartment ventilation set up with the components mounted in a frame to remain stationary when the cover is raised(again,vision). Those dandy tube pieces Mike and Lewis turned us on to should make up for some lack talent,now I just gotta figure out how to do everything else lol.

Joe

I'm almost done with an attempt at an exhaust. I'll post some pics if I'm happy with it... It's kinda an experiment ("mad scientist!") 3 chambers- the two out side chambers recieve the exhaust from each port on the engine. Then the exhaust is routed from each chamber directly to the center one via 3 pipes with holes all over them. Exhaust is scavanged from the center chamber through another larger pipe. It should have a little back pressure and retain enough heat to "pull" the gasses out. Should know tomarrow evening what it sounds like.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Jeff, hows it goin? In the "Attex 6x6 Picture Thread", first post ,2nd pic. of ST/295. The engine cover on mine is very similar/identical to that. The rect.holes are cut out bigger yet. I vision setting up the exhaust to exit up thru the left side opening in a manner which will allow the cover to swing in its original hardware to open(again,vision). I see the right side opening being used for some type of oil cooler and compartment ventilation set up with the components mounted in a frame to remain stationary when the cover is raised(again,vision). Those dandy tube pieces Mike and Lewis turned us on to should make up for some lack talent,now I just gotta figure out how to do everything else lol.

Joe
    Joe, We'll have to share some ideas in person at Busco. I'm going to be finishing up this project this summer. I might even use a stock Kohler muffler like this one:

Kohler Engine Muffler fits Command 18-27hp twin - eBay (item 360333524131 end time Jan-11-11 09:35:44 PST)

By the way, I'm using a stock Max II wiring harness for the Kohler so that should really help to simplify things when it comes to the electronics.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Joe,
    on my wild wolf, I ran the exhaust in the standard location (wouldn't work for JP running tracks). I used the stock Attex muffler at first, but had issues with mud packing in the exit and causing all sorts of issues. So... i built an aluminum plate to reduce the size of the muffler hole in the body, and mounted a stock Max II muffler. now the exit is straight out the side, had no issues with it at busco and it still looks somewhat stock. in this pic it's missing one chunk of pipe, but you get the general idea
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Hey Brian, sorry it takes so long for me to get back at ya. Yeah,that is a neat,clean lookin set-up there on your Wild Wolf. One of the previous owners of my Attex did a really nice job blanking off the side exhaust opening. Lack of talent compounded by the fact that I all ready have waaaaaaaaaay too many other distractions dictates that I will probably opt for a quick and dirty up and out the top routing of the exhaust. I just want to get this unit trailworthy soon and begin enjoying it and the Argo with my teens. Regarding my Hustler project,that looks as though I bit off a little much and am gonna be chewing for a much longer than anticipated time. Also, no insulation or source of heat in my garage makes Cleveland winters quite non-productive to say the least.Furthermore,the downturn in manufacturing of the last couple of years has taken its toll on the "toy" funding. And if thats not enough,Sat 1-8-11 while driving my wife and two of our dogs out to our trailer for our annual birthdays weekend. On US 6 (about 5 mi due south of Pine Lake Raceway) I decided to take us all for some "offroading". Could not recover from the back end kicking out,allmost had it twice,then went off the rt side of road spinning, caught the ditch traveling sideways/backwards at a perfect angle to flip the vehicle onto its roof and continue spinning/toboggining through 12-18 of fresh snow. Stopped with the wife and I ok (just a little banged up nothing serious) hanging upside down by the restraints,got myself loose then her,then crawled out the blown out back window to find our St. Bernard doing laps staring into space in the middle of US 6. Got her right back and after all was cleared/towed spent the next 3 hrs in knee deep snow in wet boots tracking the freaked out cattle dog to under a ramp behind a farmers barn. I need a little break.

Joe.

Dang Joe, save that for the races not the family car outings and if you insist on this behavior see Hydro for some tips! (The king of upside down) Hope all are in good shape and the family pets also. Stay safe!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    ....and if you insist on this behavior see Hydro for some tips! (The king of upside down)
    Hey Lewis!

~m

Thought you would like that Mike

+ Reply to Thread