JLO 400 vs. Cuyuna 440??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: JLO 400 vs. Cuyuna 440??

Question JLO 400 vs. Cuyuna 440??

Does anyone know if it is worth the work to upsize from the JLO to the Cuyuna? Thinking about doing it this spring but curious to know if worth the effort for my old Bigmax? Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

The six-bolt head Cuyuna engine benefits from substantially better breathing from the additional ports in the cylinder, and from subsequently larger carburetors. There's no subsitute for displacement, so a 440 will develop more power than a 400cc engine of identical configuration. The bottom ends of the early JLOs (2F400-2? 2F400-3?) are a bit different than the newer Cuyuna engines as well, with the newer engines having a beefier lower end.

For a small displacement, fan cooled, non-piston ported, non- reed valved 2 stroke, the Cuyuna 440s develop decent power for their size. You can replace the top end (jugs, pistons, heads) without taking the entire bottom end apart. If you're aiming toward performance and extended high-rpm use, a set of forged pistons (e.g.; Wiseco) pistons would be a good investment. If you're planning on simply changing the jugs/heads/pistons/etc., an upgraded carburetor may be in order as well. The early JLO in your BigMax would likely have a Mikuni VM32, or something that flows comparable air/fuel. An upgrade in carburetion may also be in order. A Mikuni VM34 can be jetted to accomodate a Cayuna 440 quite well.

To answer your question simply? Yes.... worth the effort. You would make a formidable racing opponent with a light BigMax/440 Cuyuna combo should you swing buy the Ashtabula 2011 event in Ohio.

Lots of folks here know the Cuyuna/JLOs inside and out. Let us know what you decide.
    Good Luck!
    ~m

I think they're pretty much the same engine manufacturer. I think JLO bought Cayuna at some point. The 400 is no slouch either.

JPSwift was running with a JLO/Cayuna 440 at Ashtabula last year and did really well. He had the lead at the beginning of the race and placed 3rd by the end. He was beat by two G50B powered Superchiefs (484cc).

He's wearing the orange jumpsuit in this video.

Banned

At 4:20 in that video, that's me pulled over with my Cuyuna melted down from a too-small main jet. Oops. I'm also the freak at the end of the video flailing about after a short ride in a 440 Cuyuna-powered machine. Lots of fun. Do it! They're a fun, simple, cheap engine. Plenty enough guts to hurt you.

~m

::EDIT:: Wait a minute... Did Mike G. come in second in that race? If so, the G's are running a 400 Cuyuna in their D-stock, which is their backup engine. I just can't remember the results. Did the almighty McKay come in first? Please DVD master; send help!

~m
    Last edited by hydromike; 01-03-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks to all for your guidance and input, it is all very well appreciated. I think I will do it this spring...who knows maybe I'll be out there racing with you all sometime...hahaha. Having fun ridin!! Thanks again, Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post

::EDIT:: Wait a minute... Did Mike G. come in second in that race? If so, the G's are running a 400 Cuyuna in their D-stock, which is their backup engine. I just can't remember the results. Did the almighty McKay come in first? Please DVD master; send help!

~m
    I pulled out the official results sheet. Yes, small main jet Guy, the McKay driven by one of those Kinyon guys came in first, Mike G was second, & Swift came in third. You were too busy burning your hand to remember. It was one of the best races of the day.

Bridget

I think you might be right Mike....even though Mike was running a Superchief, I think I do remember Don saying something about them running with a backup engine.

This race was great to watch.
    Last edited by George; 01-05-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Banned

I think their "primary" engine in the racer was a Cuyna/JLO 440-8, and the "backup" was a 400, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I think they're pretty much the same engine manufacturer. I think JLO bought Cayuna at some point. The 400 is no slouch either.

JPSwift was running with a JLO/Cayuna 440 at Ashtabula last year and did really well. He had the lead at the beginning of the race and placed 3rd by the end. He was beat by two G50B powered Superchiefs (484cc).

He's wearing the orange jumpsuit in this video.

I was right behind Hydromike and we were leading the pack out of the gate, both of us with 440 Cuyunas. Those are GREAT engines! I think I lead the first two, maybe three laps until I started having carb issues and then I dropped back. I probably should have spent more time working on my jetting......I just got a carburetor off ebay, threw it on there and raced. You can take Cuyuna 440 jugs and heads and bolt them onto the bottom end of a JLO 400, simple as that. That's what I did, and I'd highly recommend the upgrade. Those little 440's can be made into firebreathing monsters with some top end work.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey I like simple maybe I can do this job before spring.....picking up my scorpion 440 whip on saturday. Thanks for the input.

+ Reply to Thread