JLO 400 vs. Cuyuna 440??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: JLO 400 vs. Cuyuna 440??

Had a chance to work on the cuyuna a bit today, one set of points is stuck open, will clean them up & work on it some more tomorrow. CDI sounds interesting...has anyone put one in yet?

xenoah cylinders pic in parts ,mamual kinda remind me of a hirth twin 400 440 493
    but i know that the x engine was made in japan or atleast tied to fuji that helped in the development of the engines for chap and rupp , prob very simmilar to the 488 polaris engine too..
    i bet it uses a electric starter from either a kawasaki/ccw or a polaris that is f theya renot all the same as the kawi and the ccw /jdx8 engines use the same electric starter

Quote Originally Posted by speedycoop View Post
    CDI sounds interesting...has anyone put one in yet?
    We're using two of them now and working on a third one. The hardest part of the job is finding the CDI units. Cuyuna only used CDI at the very end of their production from what I can find out, but they also produced a liquid-cooled 440 for use in PWCs. The liquid-cooled engines had CDI ignition and at least some of them were interchangeable with the fan-cooled models.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

This stator looks like it may be for a CDI setup.

NEW 440 JLO Stator - eBay (item 200372516741 end time Feb-02-11 07:21:00 PST)
    Banned

Good find, George. That's for a CDI all right, and looks like a Cuyuna, but marked JLO ( I don't think JLO ever produced an engine with CDI). It's awfully pricey to find out later it won't fit. One thing I forgot to mention is that the point ignition stator plate and CDI plate are installed 90 degrees differently. If you can't find a fan housing that was made for CDI, you'll need to drill and tap your housing for the new stator.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

The Cuyuna is running...runs like a top! Now I am on a mission to find an electric starter & matching ring gear. Seems easier & cheaper than CDI.

The Cuyuna is running...runs like a top! Now I am on a mission to find an electric starter & matching ring gear. Seems easier & cheaper than CDI.

A JLO 400 and a Cuyuna 440 will work for that. I heard that you will have to get a different seal for the output shaft side and remove the clutch to install the ring gear for the electric starter.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

that looks like its the ebayer .

anny way i de glued my cdi box .

i found my glasses and looking at the cdi box the colder joints are terrible in spots one wire that no doubt is needed is not connected to the board
    so if you have a tin can stylce cd box like eraly kawi , suzuki arctic cat or cuyuna you can deglue them with a hot gll;ue gun to attemtp to repair them electronically
    i have a bad cdi box for a 78 panther wich is almost the same as the cuyuna same manufacuter nipendenso
    that is going on the hot glue gun tratment after i get done here
    you actually may try a suzuki engine for and arctc cat and see if you can find a flywheel stator combo
    my hunch thier is opne out there ...
    when i get enough junk sled engnes

thanxz

440 Cuyuna is still in sled. Runs good till it gets warm,then quits. Let it sit for 10 min. it will start and run for another 10 min. Changed stator and timed it,problem persists.Need Help!!!!! Thanks for any ideas. (Plenty of gas and blue spark,then none or yellow)
    Last edited by speedycoop; 02-20-2011 at 05:29 PM.

440 Cuyuna is still in sled. Runs good till it gets warm,then quits. Let it sit for 10 min. it will start and run for another 10 min. Changed stator and timed it,problem persists.Need Help!!!!! Thanks for any ideas. (Plenty of gas and blue spark,then none or yellow)
    Sure sounds like coil. A damaged coil can often work cold and when it's warmed up loose contact.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

+ Reply to Thread