t-20 oil

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: t-20 oil

t-20 oil

ok well im a bit confused i have been running atf type f in my t-20 tranny and have read people using atf III does it really matter which one you use or are there better alternatives to this and yes i have read through the numour posts talking about fluids just trying to clarify which is best thanks

[QUOTE=chopper;84123]ok well im a bit confused i have been running atf type f in my t-20 tranny and have read people using atf III does it really matter which one you use or are there better alternatives to this and yes i have read through the numour posts talking about fluids just trying to clarify which is best thanks[/QU typ f i have dex 3 works good but typ f is rec seze robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

I doubt you can actually find REAL type f any more, they put dexIII in a jug and label it "F". It was poor quality and Ford switched to DexIII(also called mercon). GM is on (I believe) DexIV, I don't know if it's in production cars yet, but it's synthetic. I have been using a transfer case fluid (synthetic atf) called auto-trak. It works great. No need to add the limited slip additive and unlike the additive it is smooth from the start. The bad part is it's about $9 a qt. and only available from a GM dealer. The good news is it only takes one quart.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 02-03-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo

If you were to read owners manuals from various manufacturers and various years, you'll find that the recomendations have changed several times. I've tried several types and noticed zero difference. On one machine I tried running 2 different fluids back to back. I noticed when changing fluid type that the trans was really grabby, it took a few more fluid changes to get rid of this feel. I would stick with what has been working for you. On a freshly rebuilt T-20, I take an air engraver and mark the case right above the fill hole with "ATF ONLY!" then under that the type of fluid that I used. I wish the T-20 had come from the factory with "ATF ONLY" cast into the case or on a tag near the fill hole. I've seen too many with gear oil or motor oil in them!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    I wish the T-20 had come from the factory with "ATF ONLY" cast into the case or on a tag near the fill hole. I've seen too many with gear oil or motor oil in them!
    Poeple just don't understand that the ATF lubricates better than the 80-90wt. They think thicker is better.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    I doubt you can actually find REAL type f any more, they put dexIII in a jug and label it "F". It was poor quality and Ford switched to DexIII(also called mercon). GM is on (I believe) DexIV, I don't know if it's in production cars yet, but it's synthetic. I have been using a transfer case fluid (synthetic atf) called auto-trak. It works great. No need to add the limited slip additive and unlike the additive it is smooth from the start. The bad part is it's about $9 a qt. and only available from a GM dealer. The good news is it only takes one quart.
    i know the feeling my nv5600 has the syn atf in it to 9 bucks a qt at the dodge dealor
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

+ Reply to Thread