My name is Mike. I have a problem.....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My name is Mike. I have a problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Long story short. I took the frame out. It's hammered. I'll hopefully get it welded, beat back into shape, reinforced, cleaned up, blasted, painted and put back in this weekend.

Pretty optimistic, eh?

~m
    It's never easy, is it?
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    I told you it needed to be gutted, don't you feel better now?
    Way better. Thing's f'ugly. I don't know how it's held together.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    It's never easy, is it?
    Nope, but it's always fun.

~m

So, Race' and I are in the midst of rebuilds, so while he's yanking his apart, I'm trying to button up the quick restification of mine.

I spent some time over the weekend and finished welding up the frame, reinforcing everything that needed it, painting the frame and getting 90% of it all back together. I feel MUCH bettter that I took the time to do it. It was a necessity.

I may have goofed up a little bit, though. I revamped the lateral mounts to make them a bit more solid, and to center them on the machine. What I failed to discover is that now that everything is together, I can't get the connecting rods to the T-20 in. Stupid Hustler. Stupid Michael. I picked up a Dayco HP2031 belt, and it does indeed fit like a glove. Anybody who's looking for a good replacement belt for a stock 980 driveline, this should work well for you.

Had her running a little bit in the garage last night and this morning. I still have to run chains and do some more fabricating while the top is off. Hopefully she'll hold together a bit better this time around.

~m

Hey Mike, did you need a ladder to work on it? Those BIGFOOTS are TALL! Good heads up on the belt part number too......I remember that super long thread about it a year or two ago.

You might want to consider some heim joints and new tubular rods going from the T-20 to the laterals......you could use ones just like I did on my racer, and it would compensate for the angle as well, unlike the square tube ones would.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The angle isn't goofed up at all, I just can't physically fish the rods into the maze of "stuff" comprising the frame while the transmission is there. I'll just loosen it up and put them in. The ladder wasn't necessary. I was able to get everything assembled with the top of the machine off. Getting INTO the machine is another story....

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Getting INTO the machine is another story....
    It's like the deep end of a swimming pool.......you could get lost in that thing it's so big.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey Mike (Hydro)...empty your mailbox! You too Jersey!
    Banned

Since the bulk of the Bigfoot is about done for now, I can S L O W L Y work on customizing it bit by bit in a vain attempt to compete with the 980 PimpFoot that's going to make its mobile-debut from the woods of North Carolina here sometime soon.

I've learned that I need lots of tow-points from time to time, largely due to the fact that I instinctively follow people with more capable machines into places that I have no business being. Sometimes, those people are invisible, and my therapist says they're a fabrication of my subconcious. Eh, whatever. If they're invisible, that means they can't tow me out, so I'm gonna need a winch.

I began fabbing up a mount yesterday in between making chicken wings and enchiladas for the football game I never actually watched. I'm going to go with an under-bumper mount for now and see if I can destroy it, at which point I'll probably do it the right way and put it sky-high on top of the bumper. After watching several videos of these fat pigs swimming, the winch should be well above the water line when it's sitting in the water, and it's actually hard to hit it on anything since it's still pretty high-up. We'll see.

GeoJem took it for a quick tour of the snowbanks to see what sort of issues I may have with approach angle. It just kept climbing.

~m
    Last edited by hydromike; 02-07-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: possessive/contraction issue. As always.

Well, wasn't that nice of you to use your girl friend as a test pilot! But do tell us how does it run and will it be ready for Busco.

All kidding aside Mike you have done a get looking job on that machine.

Thanks Lewis. It's basically ready for Busco now. I mean, it'll likely have other stuff added, and maybe a couple little upgrades to it as I find weak spots on trail rides, but all-in-all it's about as ready as it's going to get. Tires are a necessity, but they'll hopefully be here by then. Backorders are a nightmare with Interco right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Well, wasn't that nice of you to use your girl friend as a test pilot!
    Her words after the test drive?

"Oh, I like that one...."

~m

+ Reply to Thread