Kold Kutter ice cleats on supertracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kold Kutter ice cleats on supertracks

Kold Kutter ice cleats on supertracks

Ok, as I promised here : http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...-question.html

Install pics. These things are sharp and very hard. And by the looks of my driveway make great contact. I have not had them on ice yet - soon.

First pic shows the tools used. 5/64 bit and stop for pilot. I tried a few without the pilot but found that the grip of the screws seems better with the pilot hole. All screws were final turned to align perpendicular to the line of travel to hopefully reduce steering load. Can't hardly see they are there. Two on each section.

Second pic, close up of the install. That extra hole there is to show what the pilot hole looked like before the screws are install. Yeah, that's why it's there.

#3 is to show... I don't know. I just liked it.

How do you get the cool thumbnail bar?

I added this as a reply for the chronological record.

Yesterday I spent some time on a ride in the mountains of Wyoming. It was the first time I had ever been with another AATV and given the terrain obstacles around I took the opportunity to test the machine. Up until now the worst my tracks had seen was some packed snowmobile trails and the ice/shallow snow one finds icefishing.

The cleats work great on ice and as I've mentioned in other post they will tear up your driveway. In my adventure yesterday I got the chance to bury the tracks in deep snow and claw at the rocks underneath to try and work my way up-slope. Granted, some slopes chosen for the testing were ridiculous; when I was done spinning my tracks I would back up and drive around them. I would say that the cleats must grab well as there is ample evidence that the cleats stayed.

As you can see, they mush the plastic over and pull out. This is the starboard side and I bet I lost half of my cleats like this although a few were sheared along with the plastic they were in:

I've removed them since I have started finding them in the driveway and I don't want to be digging one out of a tire.

Hi John,

Great to meet you both and Dan also. Had a blast playing in the snow with you guys. Im on our way home now, but when I get back to my desk ill post some pictures from our ride on the other thread.

Just read your post about breaking the studs out of your tracks, so it got me thinking about mine. We were climbing and spinning on some really rocky slopes and that probably where damage could have occurred. here is a picture of how I installed the 5/8" gold diggers in my tracks.

When I get back in the shop im interested to inspect for damage and see if I lost a few also.

Thanks for taking the time to come up and hang out with us. Really enjoyed the time with you guys.

Tim

Thanks for the update. To bad they bent over like that though.

In your older post you said "How do you get the cool thumbnail bar?" Not sure exactly if your talking about the manage attachment option or not. But its like this. Here are some random pictures to show you. If thats what your talking about if you are using the advance reply(not quick reply) its down a tad in blue. If you click on that you can add files to attach.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    Hi John,

Great to meet you both and Dan also. Had a blast playing in the snow with you guys. Im on our way home now, but when I get back to my desk ill post some pictures from our ride on the other thread.

Just read your post about breaking the studs out of your tracks, so it got me thinking about mine. We were climbing and spinning on some really rocky slopes and that probably where damage could have occurred. here is a picture of how I installed the 5/8" gold diggers in my tracks.

When I get back in the shop im interested to inspect for damage and see if I lost a few also.

Thanks for taking the time to come up and hang out with us. Really enjoyed the time with you guys.

Tim
    Hey Tim,
    Just curious what are the bolts for extensions? Do the threads get damaged, or I mean Im assuming they do. Are they threaded rod or what do you do to take them off? Cool track though!

MmmMm, Bacon!!

sorry..had to. LOL
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Hey Tim,
    Just curious what are the bolts for extensions? Do the threads get damaged, or I mean Im assuming they do. Are they threaded rod or what do you do to take them off? Cool track though!
    hi Larry...the bolts are just another attempt at a simple, low cost, ice stud...after getting some feedback on our previous attempt at using standard 1/4" by 2" carriage bolts for a little more bite, we got the idea that they were not strong enough to prevent bending and breaking...so this track was retrofitted with common 5/16" by 2" bolts in the inner location and also inexpensive gold digger ice screws, and then tested on rocks, stumps, and whatever else we could dig up....i lost one bolt on the connector link in the first few minutes, but because we were still in snow around our cabin, i believe that it was due to my mistake and the nut never got tightened down when assembled...all the others seemed to stand up to abuse pretty well, im anxious to look it over a little closer when we get back to the shop....as for taking them off or damage to the threads they are just a grade 2 bolt, so taking them off shouldnt be much of a challenge..

tim

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Thanks for the update. To bad they bent over like that though.

In your older post you said "How do you get the cool thumbnail bar?" Not sure exactly if your talking about the manage attachment option or not. But its like this. Here are some random pictures to show you. If thats what your talking about if you are using the advance reply(not quick reply) its down a tad in blue. If you click on that you can add files to attach.
    Well, yes, like that. Advanced eh, I don't usually go there except for emoticons.

Ok, I usually upload my pics to the gallery and grab the link text at the bottom. Looking at this (uh, now) it looks like you use pics that are uploaded to a different location. Is that right? I see I have a choice of "Home" and "no assets" (this tool is spooky, how did it know that?) Is there a way to grab gallery pics?

JohnF,
    As far as I know there is no way to do the thumbnails with the gallery photos like they are with the attachments. When you open the attachments there is a link in the upper right that says add files. You just add them like you would for the gallery by finding your picture folder on your computer. Once its in there it stays unless you delete it. And yes its like another location to store the picts but I dont think there is a way for members to search through them like in the gallery. So that is a drawback. As far as I know that is correct but I could be wrong somewhere there, lol.

Tim,
    Ah I see now. They sure look like they would bite something.

mustangwagz
    Those rascals got out of the barn, lol. They are not suppose to be out because of bio security reasons too. Dont want them bringing something in and getting 4000 pigs sick. Someone screwed up too because they have to go through a gate and then the door to get out.

Hey John,for years I used super,s what I did to improve traction on slippery slopes was to install the factory ice cleats and then on every other one I bolted them down using Woodys Gold digger 5/16 carbide tipped snowmobile studs in place of the factory supplied bolts,they have been in the tracks for years and had very few failures,and I plowed with them I found them to be very durable and with installing them into the factory steel ice cleats they were very stable and did not damage the track,granted they can only be used on the outside but helped on icy sections.I will post up a pic when I find out where the darn camera is LOL.

+ Reply to Thread