Duckkiller, you will find a lot of cool things being said about about every type of rig. Each has it's type of use, and all of them are pretty good points.
My personal opinon, after owning a bunch of different machines, is drive them and see which ones meet your need.If you are one of the weekend mudders, then the light wieght jerk steers may meet your need. If you want a long range investment that will do lots of hard work and if you don't like the jerks, then a hydraulic machine may be what you want.At my age I have gotten spoiled with the smooth corners and the positive power to the tracks. My tracks and running gear last a lot longer due to the less ground friction of the skid steer.
I am sure that your request will bring a hoard of dealers doing their best to convince you to buy their products, but some of us don't deal and won't push one kind over another.
My best friend drives an argo and we both enjoy each other's machine.
I have been swamp running since my first cushman tracster in 1971. Loved that machine! Since then I've spent a fortune on almost every kind of aatv.
Right now I own a MO Diesel loaded to the gills.At this time I haven't driven a machine that is tougher, smoother, or more reliable, but my application is different than most aatv'ers. For me it's heavy loads in swamps, steep ground, very deep snow, glacial ice flows and far below zero weather.Breakdowns can easily kill me.( some of the light weight drivers probably wish I would freeze my old a-- off!)
My MO is reliable but I carry enough small tools to repair most anything that might fail. Not much could shut me down.
Yeah, I spent the money to get it, but It was far less than all of those other rigs that failed me. I am lucky to be here to gab about it.I'll bet my daily excursions are ten times more dangerous than most of the mud runs down there.
my HD opinions always stir up strife with the brotherhood,but I have learned you always get what you pay for!
Your decision should be governed by your need, not by someone huffing and puffing about whose dog is best!
Bubba