I compared rubber tracks vs. plastic tracks in mud. The winner is.....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I compared rubber tracks vs. plastic tracks in mud. The winner is.....

I compared rubber tracks vs. plastic tracks in mud. The winner is.....

Took a 2011 HDi with rubber tracks and a 2011 Frontier with plastic tracks to the Cascades. They were operated in DEEP mud. The Frontier kicked the HDi's ass. Seems the plastic super track really performed better, and I thought the HDi with the rubber tracks would have done better. One thing is that the HDi is a good bit heavier, so this might have been a factor.

I have also operated both around Jackson Hole in snow. Rubber tracks better on hard pack and ice, both pretty equal in deep powder, plastic may have had a slight advantage.

Just some personal observations for anyone trying to make a choice between the two. Of course, mud in the Western US is different from, let's say, Georgia red clay.

rubber

I'd like to hear more about the conditions and what made the plastic tracks go better. Was the 2011 HDI you had an Avenger or Frontier? 6x6 or 8x8 Frontier? 18" Argo rubber tracks and 18" Argo plastic tracks?
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Spend your time and money on a set of Adair tracks, I have seen the super tracks tracks in watery mud and they don't work well, they barely move and can't pull out of holes, the rubber tracks clog up with mud very quickly in gumbo mud and over tax the machine and won't move because the tracks don't clean out. The rubber tracks are extremely hard to turn and are hard on the bearings and axles.

About the only way to stick a machine with Adair tracks is to get it wedged in a narrow mud lane, if the mud area is open the tracks will simply dig, clean out, find traction and keep moving forward.

Adair tracks are easier to turn than tires! You get a lot less wear and tear on the entire machine and that includes the tires.

They swim in the water and will run circles around other tracks in pure mud because they clean out and grab traction. In watery mud they are out standing and will pull you out of every hole where plastic tracks will spin and have you reaching for your winch.

If you own an 8x8 they turn easier and swim circles around any other track.

If you own a 6x6 they swim reasonably well and are unstoppable in mud, swamp and watery mud. My Frontier storms over roots and fallen tires in the water and anything under the tracks gives the machine even more bite and gives the machine more traction.

The only disadvantage I have seen is that they are hard to control in water, you don't steer them you turn the machine by leaning. Once you have the leaning control system down they work well even in water.

I have driven into areas of pure mud and pulled out five modified machines with out laws and big tires and then drove circles around the entire area and never got close to being stuck. If there is an area with pure mud that no other machine can move in a machine with Adair tracks will drive through it with out over stressing the machine or the tracks.

Check the following video with a years worth of clips of various machines at five different atv parks:

Last edited by mightymaxIV; 11-18-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Check out this video of the swamp area of River run just posted by David sanders. Try this with a set of plastic tracks.

Last edited by mightymaxIV; 11-18-2011 at 03:06 PM.

This is a another very good example how superior the Adair self cleaning tracks are.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Check out this video of the swamp area of River run just posted by David sanders. Try this with a set of plastic tracks.

THAT there was straight up pure unrefined NASTY.
    You're killing me here. I want to play, but everything will be locked in ice for another 5 months.

RD

Great videos of the swamps. How many hours do you have on your Frontiers now? Are the new HD axle bearings holding up well? I'm curious to see if they last longer than the old style with the greasable seals. I want to see a 200 hour HD bearing with no slop or water leakage.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post
    Great videos of the swamps. How many hours do you have on your Frontiers now? Are the new HD axle bearings holding up well? I'm curious to see if they last longer than the old style with the greasable seals. I want to see a 200 hour HD bearing with no slop or water leakage.

Brandon, I have 70 hours on the Frontier now, the tires look new, the tracks show very little sign of wear. The Argo has been almost maintenance free, it doesn't leak a drop of water. Clean up has been very easy when compared to my Max.

My Adair tracked machines have yet to be stuck. They mud well, turn easily, swim, and actually did pretty well last winter in the 10" freak snow storm we had in Texas. I think the biggest bang for the buck for an option is th Adair track system.

Great videos Dan. Tires are now old tech, much like wooden wagon wheels compared to the Adair tracks. I think anyone who observed Dan's machine at Busco, or watched the videos can see how superior this system is to anything out there.

+ Reply to Thread