99 Conquest Chevy Sprint Engine Swap

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 Conquest Chevy Sprint Engine Swap

The other argo is an 84. I helped the owner swap in a 20 hp Honda. He having trouble getting it to idle once it warms up, but it goes good. The tracks are 13 inch

Slim

Ok now that the secrets out I will give you the info that I know... In the late 80's Chevy built a great little call the Sprint. The carb model had about 50hp but in 87 they did have a turbo model that was rated at around 70+hp with torque in the 90 range. It had a little fast spinning turbo, mpfi & intercooler. Not to mention the beefed up suspension. I guarrantee they car would scare the **** out of most the so called late 80's muscle car. It would pull MPG numbers of better than 50. I know because I had a little white 87 turbo. The turbo model was discountinued after one year (I believe you could still get it in Canada for a couple more years). The Sprint became the Chevy Metro & then the Geo Metro The Metro was a dog in preformance & handling compared to the Turbo model. I know this for a fact because my parents got a white 89 Metro. I amost put it in the ditch the first time I drove it because I expected it to handle like my Sprint. I still had my Turbo at the same time so the 2 car spent a lot of time side by side in the driveway. Ok sorry about the history lesson. The one thing these cars had in common was the block. It is a 1 liter (61cu. in.), 3 cylinder, aluminum motor build by Suzuki (yes the same motorcycle people). I believe the motors were pretty much bulletproof. Lord knows mine was. As for the size of the motor I use to have people laugh when I popped the hood because the battery was bigger than the motor (really). Based on my research the 3 cylinder was used up until 95/96 when they went to a 4 cylinder model. The specs on the 1995 motor state the bore/stroke at 2.91x3.03 with a SOHC with EFI, compression of 9.5:1, HP of 49@4,700 (XFI) & 55@5,700 (Base & LSI). Torque is 58@3,300. Cooling is 4.1qts. Ok now here is the really good stuff. Engine materails: Aluminum block/head/intake for a grand total of 134.5lbs fully assemble. The Kawaski 20hp FD620D weighs in at 104.1lbs (w/muffler) & if you swap in the 29hp FD791D it weighs in at 125.7lbs (w/muffler). All my numbers come directly from manufactures websites so the numbers should accurate. I am not a math wiz but the power to weight ratio looks a little bit better with the 3 cylinder (ok a lot better). I saw the pictures of the Argo shown above a few months ago & knew exactly what the engine was out of the minute I saw it. My brain gears started turning & I had been looking to do an engine swap in my Conquest for a while. Needless to say I currently have a 95 baby blue Geo Metro with EFI sitting in my shop waiting to give up it's guts for my Conquest. I won't say what I paid for it but I will put it this way I think I can pull what I need, sell a few parts, scrap the rest & come out with money in my pocket. I didn't want to say anything about it until now because I wanted to make sure I had my donor car before everyone started looking for them. When I start getting into things I will document it so that if it works someone else could do it without my mistakes. - Ozzy

The turbos are harder to come by.. but if you do a search on kijiji I'm sure you will find a dozen of the regular cars in each province/state (just search for "geo metro" (the hatch model), "pontiac firefly" "chevy sprint" "suzuki swift"). I did a search just yesterday and 4ish came in under $500. The EFI was on 89's and up I believe. Can you tell us about how engine is connected to the transmission? I imagine one would need a custom part to fit the variable clutch onto the flywheel.

All my info came from the builder and former owner. There is no transmission other than the original argo. The clutch is attached to the flywheel or it won't line up with the driven pully. I'm assuming that a machine shop built it. I have'nt had it apart. I do have the mechanical ability and tools to rebuild this engine or do any other mechanical work that it might need.
    It has lots of power and even the people I argo with don't know how much. I only open it up when someone wants to show me something. Otherwise I drive along with everone else, go the same places, do the same things. I'm assuming that is why I've had no powertrain troubles although I have my own ideas on servicing, the type of oil and grease I use and the intervals I service the machine.
    I have about 200 hrs on the machine since I got it, and I don't anticipate having any problem.
    I don't want to go fast, but I want to go everywhere. I like to make my own trail and I'll travel with anyone as long as they bring there own equipment. I don't get ulcers, I give ulcers.

Slim
    Last edited by Slimpickin; 02-16-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Wow, thanks for the videos Slim! Awesome machine!

Ozzy, thanks for the 3 cylinder facts!!!

I had a chevy sprint in 96. '82 I think, regular carb model I know. Tranny went out but ran fine. I still have it, been parked since then probably 96 or 97. This thread is really getting me thinking of seeing if its any good yet and if it will fit in my trainer!

Hah.. I just noticed you're from alberta. We should hook up and take out our 998cc 6x6s (I did a conversion too).

Wish I knew what mods had to be done for that engine to work. I could sure use that extra HP here in Colorado !

wow this thread is great and has motivated me to tell everybody that i too have a 3 cyl geo metro project in the works for ashtabula this year!!!!!!! fuel injected and and all!!!! more to come soon !!! watch for a thread abought it coming soon!
    they dont call me mad because im angry!!!!! im just a little crazy thats all!!!!

Awesome Slim!! '94 was the last year of the 3cyl in Canada and rated @70hp for the N/A and @100hp for the turbo, now what about the racer guys using the efi turbo versions who are getting 200+hp out of them, my local scrap yard has a blue '93 Intercooled Turbo Firefly, is says it right on the side of the car, i wonder if i could make the turbo version fit into an Argo? now you got me brainstormin Slim!!!
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

I bet in a year we will see more chevy/geo 3 cylinders then briggs! lol SWEET!!!!!! Thanks Slim!!!! Keep posting the videos!

+ Reply to Thread