Homebuilt finally finished!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt finally finished!

Homebuilt finally finished!

Hello fellow 6-wheelers, I just finished my homebuilt project and posted 2 photos in the gallery. It was a 6 month project, and is constructed completely out of lawnmower parts I had laying around. A few things are still missing, like the decals and black stripes. I still have some interior trim work to do. Hope you like it.
    Last edited by smyser; 02-25-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Wow, that is sweet!!!! I am very curious on what you did. Can you tell us about the drive system or take some pictures of it!

Great Job!

That is so sweet. It's like the Hummer of six wheelers. I'm with Larry, tell us more about your drive train and take some interior shots so we can see the goods.

Thanks Larry, what you are looking at is a transmission from a zero turn mower, engine, wiring, lights and wheels off of assorted makes and models of riding lawnmowers. It steers just like a zero turn mower with two handles, driving 6 wheels instead of two. The plus to this system is that there is only one chain per side. ($9 dollars + tax each side).

smyser

Is the upper and lower tub made out of marine grade plywood and fiber glass?

Is the drive hydrostatic, or an older zero turn with a mechanical like a dixon? I have a Dixon that I've thought of doing the same thing with if it ever stops being useful as a grass cutter
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mike, just added more (earlier) photos. Thanks.

Mudbug, indeed it is. 3/4" marine grade over a steel subframe. Sanded, sanded again, and wetsanded. High gloss without fiberglass, or leaks.

Hi racerone, it is a cone drive tranny. A lot of people wouldnt believe this can provide the torque, but it does. It was CHEAP too, I considered hydraulics, but saw the price of ONE motor. This was easy and inexpensive.

Very cool Smyser.
    Banned

Thats crazy cool. Any chance we could see a video of it swimming!!!
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread