Borg Warner T-20

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Borg Warner T-20

Borg Warner T-20

What are they worth? Where do I find one? What HP can they handle?

I believe that they run between $1600-$1700 new from Recreatives Industries. They are super durable and can handle 100 HP or more I would guess. I saw a Max IV at the old Humphrey, NY jamboree with a 3 or 4 cylinder car engine in it. You can find them used all over the place and in old machines since they were used since 1970. There are a lot of them out there. I say they are the best transmissions ever put in any amphibious skid steer AATV.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

There's a Hustler in Texas with a buy it now for $375. has T-20 and some other usable parts. Probably a good restoration candidate.

I'd have to agree that all things considered, the T20 is the very best.

I've seen the Terra Tiger that JP mentioned also, and the guy did a great job changing it over. I'll have to look, but I may have some pictures somewhere of the beast. Unless you're sold on the TT, you may be able to pick up a restoration job really cheap that already has the T20, or pick up a used trans at a fraction of the cost of a new one. Attex, Max, Hustler, Centipede, Chaparral, and Swamp Fox all used the Borg/Warner T20 just to name a few, so the trannys are fairly easy to find.

If that Hustler on ebay was a reasonable distance, I'd have it home by now!

Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Yea I would like to find one with it in it already, But I'm in Minnesota and cant find any in my state. Oh and this is what happens to hunters with D.U.I.s

Take a look in the classifieds section of the website for AATVs for sale, there might be one somewhat close to you.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

That picture is awesome. Can't stop laughing....

Can anyone suggest a good tool for removing the snap ring that holds the center plate on the input side of the T-20? If there is a "right tool" for this job, what size do I buy? My brother inlaw popped it off very quickly for me once using two screwdrivers. I can't seem to repeat this method in under 45 minutes. After I succeed, it takes another 20 to find the where the ring shot off too.

Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by George; 08-24-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Banned

George, if you're speaking about the C-ring that goes on the main shaft of the transmission, I highly suggest the two screw-driver method. Put a rag around the whole operation once you get a couple screw drivers lined up, in order to catch the ring as it blasts off at a trillion miles an hour. I made that mistake once, and there's at least one of the 'dern rings out in my lawn somewhere. They really sail!

I honestly don't know of the appropriate tool to take them off. I imagine you could fabricate a piece of steel that would line up and knock it off. If anyone else has the "right tool", I'd love to hear about it.

~m

I just got done rebuilding a T-20 and I take the C ring off with the plate that holds the shifting plungers in. They are only on the more modern T-20's with the U channel steering set up. Im sure you could locate a used one for next to nothing.

+ Reply to Thread