Amphibious Kettenkrad

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Amphibious Kettenkrad

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Im not sure if it would work but wouldnt a hydraulic motor on the front wheel hooked to a hydraulic motor on the rear wheel work? The mechanical driven rear would use the motor as a pump to run the front? Not sure but maybe something to look into. You could use either setup of a wheel motor or chain/sprocket setup to hydro motor)
    Hi Larry, I tell you what I had in mind for the hydraulic circuit. I probably use a power steering pump (vane pump), I've checked these out and some them, especially the big diesel pickup's have a decent P/S pump in them. A good one will pump about 4 gpm @ 1,000 to 1500 psi., you can get the ones that use a remote tank and just swap the tank out for something that has a little more volume. As we know these P/S pumps are almost bulletproof and low cost. I would drive the pump from the other side of the crankshaft on my engine, the same way some of the external alternator kits mount. Another way is I've seen one of the members using a v-belt pulley (sheave) on the clutch side as well for an external alternator, either way would work.

I've already picked out a nice small hydraulic motor that would mount in the area of the brake calipers, picking up the holes for a bracket that would house the hyd. motor. For the other sprocket I would remove one of the dual rotors for the disc brakes, and use the bolt pattern to pickup the sprocket, then a short loop of chain, up to the motor spocket, and that should do it. I would pick a sprocket ratio that would come close to the rpm. I need to match to the rear tire. This is where a mech. tach, and a pressure compensated flow control valve would do the fine rpm tuning. This method should get it pretty close. I would just hard plumb it with some small flex lines. For forward and reverse I would use a 12v directional control valve with an open motor spool, with a detent position for float this will allow me to coast, as I would probably only engage the front wheel when needed. I'm using the solenoid type instead of the manual type because I'm using a 12v linear actuator to shift from forward to reverse on the transaxle, instead of running long cables to the back. So whenever I would shift the transaxle into forward or reverse the 12v solenoid would shift the spool in the DCV.

Quote Originally Posted by 6X6 View Post
    BW6. Very interesting link. I've seen an AWD mountain bike before, but never the internals. I'm supprised at the gap the front is underdriven by, but the principal is the same as some of the 1/8 on-Road R/Cs I used to race, though the underdriven gap was minimal.
    If not having power to the front wheel in reverse was no issue I think that would be the perfect setup. Not the most simple, but it looks like you've already made more complex parts for this hobby before.
    6x6, thanks again for your interest. Check my response to Larry for the hydraulic details, which is simplier I think that going mechanically (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    holy moly BW6,thats a great looking creation.cant wait to see it in action,personaly that is.
    Hey Plott, howsit going? Yeah just waiting for spring, to get back on this projict. I just got back from the waterjet guys with my grousers for the tracks. Drop by when you get a chance.
    Last edited by Mike; 03-04-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: merged three consecutive posts (you can reply to everyone at once using the "+" buttons) ;)

going pretty good BW6.is that machine at cams buisness?if so i could drive down one saturday at the end of march- begining of april at take a gander.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    going pretty good BW6.is that machine at cams buisness?if so i could drive down one saturday at the end of march- begining of april at take a gander.

cheers.
    Yes it's in my large trailer, drop by.

Amphibious Kettenkrad Project (Testing Half Tracks)

Well here is an update to this project. I completed the tracks, decided to see how a set of "Half Tracks" would perform. Was pleasantly surprised! Looks like there is plenty of traction, no slipage that I could detect. Tire were under inflated, which caused the steel guides to just touch one another as they wrap around the tire circumference, guides should have been about 1/2" shorter.

Also I need to remove "one pitch" from the right track it is just too loose and is hitting the top of the fender in one spot periodically.

Another thing is the front "cruiser tire" is really useless in the snow, it will be replaced with an aggressive knobby as well. Next job is to install the Wilwood "steering brake master cylinders", stayed tuned.

Here is a short video of the first run with "Half Tracks".

Very interesting project, I like it.
    There was a comment earlier about using a Hyd Motor as a pump. Depending on the type, yes you can interchange some of them. I'm pretty rusty on my Hydraulics, but I'm sure it can be done.

RD

RD, Hey thanks, it's different. I was debating whether to use hyd. or mech. to drive the front wheel, as it turns out I can do it mechanically easier. But with all the traction from those 15" tracks and 30" tires, I may not need to drive the front. Anyways that decision is still a ways off. What really made me smile was without thinking I really gave it some throttle from a dead stop and the front end did a wheelie!

wow BW6,that sucker has some speed.cant wait to see it go through the bush.

Hi Plott, Yes it's pretty fast for a tracked vehicle, haven't opened it up yet, but estimate around 30 mph. How's the fishing?

fishing all done with for now.hope cam put my pictures up on his wall.

Looking good! I am really liking this project. Its a pretty neat machine!

+ Reply to Thread