Amphibious Kettenkrad

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Amphibious Kettenkrad

Quote Originally Posted by chris davison View Post
    I know that dissappointed feeling, after telling dune buggy friends about the 3 wheeler as it was being built I foolishly put a 1 3/8 taper lock in the axle hub to lock the hub to axle. It lasted about 3 minutes with a 45 tooth sprocket and over 100 ponies to my great embarrasment. Now days if someone asks for your autograph you wonder if identy theft is going on.
    Ain't that the truth!

How did you make those half tracks? I think I'm going to build a tag axle for my 4 wheeler and make it a half track to see if it improves the flotation.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall View Post
    How did you make those half tracks? I think I'm going to build a tag axle for my 4 wheeler and make it a half track to see if it improves the flotation.
    Stonewall, I posted a bunch of stuff, as well as others on how to make "homemade tracks", you will have to search for it. But basically you take a used snowmobile track (15"x121"), add some bent up steel guides, add a heavy duty piano hinge, and that's it. Used tracks are not very expensive. Or if you want a "tag axle" for your 4 wheeler that has already been designed for just that purpose check out this link:Welcome to Hitch-A-Track

I talked to the guy a while back he is not too far from me. Was considering becoming a dealer back in my Hoot days.

That just looks like it hooks up to the 4 wheeler's ball hitch. My plan is a little heavier, with 2 independent swingarms.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall View Post
    That just looks like it hooks up to the 4 wheeler's ball hitch. My plan is a little heavier, with 2 independent swingarms.
    Stonewall, They do articulate quite a bit, but I agree 2 independent swingarms are the way to go. Don't forget to post your progress.

Hey Ray thought you might like to see a pic of that Kaw 900 3 wheeler
    Last edited by Mike; 04-09-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: moved picture to misc. section

Chris, that's a real nice trike. I like those paddle tires. Trikes are nice, I had 3 of them, 2 I build out of Honda GL1100's and one I bought.

Lost in the 80's

Chris, after my last post I got nostalgic thinking about trikes. Forgot about the Honda CB900C Custom bike that I triked. Painted it 1973 Corvette Yellow, 1982 84 hp. @ 8500 rpm, plus it had a "dual range" transmission. It had plenty of storage (trunk not shown) and a plush rear seat with hand warmers! Wish I took more pics of it.
    Scan20009.jpg

Ray You had to mention Corvettes my wife and I are going thru corvette withdrawls now as we sold ours before the big move. It was a silver C5 420hp and 33mpg 6 speed. Dang thats a good looking trike.

Amphibious Kettenkrad Update April 2011

Well, I got a little more done. Installed an aggressive knobby tire, made a BIG difference in steering control. Added the shifter mechanism, enclosed in the front rim, installed dual Wilwood master cylinders for skid steering (activated via handlebars), but it didn't work.

The problem was I need about 100 lbs force to lock up a side with no booster assist, and I couldn't get that leverage via the handlebars.

So plan B was to install dual handlebar mounted, lever operated, master cylinders. Good news is they work great. I found that the lever actuated brakes give you quite a mechanical advantage. Also they give you the flexibility to add skid steering to any angle of handlebar steering. Another plus is they act as my brakes, and e-brakes because they have a locking position for parking. This will also eliminate the need for my dual front disc brakes, and lighten up the front somewhat. Sometimes Plan B is better than A.

I also installed a very simple engine/cvt cover is case of rain. It's a rollup household vinyl blind ($14.95) includes custom cutting to 30" wide! Just roll it out and it hooks into 2 eye bolts. Tried it yesterday in a good downpour and it worked great.

Sorry for being for long winded. Finally here is a video update:

Last edited by Mike; 04-28-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: embedded video by using the filmstrip button

+ Reply to Thread