Electric 6 wheeler?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric 6 wheeler?

Electric 6 wheeler?

Hi all,
    I've been kicking around the idea of taking a project 6x6, (if I can find the right one for the right price) and making it electric drive. Anyone ever done something like this? I figure if I can find one cheep without the motor but with everything else I can drop in an electric motor, controller, and some batteries. I don't need top speed or range, but I've got about 4 acres with a good sized gorge and stream right in the middle. I used a friends 4x4 to haul wood up the gorge but it was a real scramble, plus I had to hug the sides of the stream. I think a 6x6 would be perfect for what I need, and the high torque electric motor would give me the low end power. What do you think? Any brands better than others for this project? I see some units use a snowmobile type clutch setup to let the motor wind up to generate torque, I might need to remove that since the electric motor generates full torque from 1 rpm.

If you are going electric you build it so one side can be going forward while the other is in reverse. You could also use a generator as a brake, it will charge the batteries when ever you need to slow down.

That would require 2 motors and 2 controllers, wouldn't it? I'd like to keep this simple as possible. Instead of mounting a generator I'd rather just carry enough batteries to cover my range needs and use the existing brake and steering system.

This is all I've come up with when searching for "Electric 6 wheeler"
    Not exactly what I was looking for, but pretty neat anyway.
    6 Wheel Drive Electric Wheel Chair 6x6 Explorer Wheel Chair Beach Bush Fishing New Zealand Kemcare

There was an electric Amphicat on ebay not too long ago.

I know you say you want to keep it simple but if you only use one motor then you have to still use the transmission and then several chains, jackshafts, etc. If you move up to 2 motors then you can completely eliminate the transmission and you would only need two chains for each side. Talk about simple!

Plus then you could counter-rotate the 6x6 with one side forward and one reverse. Then like evil mentioned instead of using disc brakes, recapture all of that energy to charge your batteries just like hybrid/electric cars do. Best of all, you could have all of your weight extremely low in the 6x6 and distribute it however you choose.

It would definitely be a cool project.

Attex built an electric machine in the late 60s or early 70s. I have the Popular Science article somewhere, and I'll find it and send it to Mike. Someday I'm going to straighten all this stuff out so I know where it is!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Don, I never knew about that electric Attex.....that's really cool! Mike, I remember that electric Amphicat on ebay.....it was listed 2 or 3 times, I believe. I came across the video of it on Youtube. If I can find it again I will be sure to post it up.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I guess I'm thinking it would be easier, for me, to have to mount a single motor to the existing transmission and use the existing controls. Also a single motor and controller will be much cheaper, and the electrical hookups would be easier as well. So yes, if starting from scratch two motors may be simpler, but I don't think so in my application. I'm hoping to find a decent 6x6 with a bad or missing motor but with everything else. If the gas tank is missing that's ok too
    Anyone know of some project vehicles near central NY state?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Then like evil mentioned instead of using disc brakes, recapture all of that energy to charge your batteries just like hybrid/electric cars do.
    Also, doing regen with brushed DC motors is not that easy, regen controllers are rare and more expensive, and it can be hard on the brushes. AC motors have regen built in but are much too expensive for this type of project. There really isn't that much energy to recapture on ATV's because of the high rolling resistance. I ran a 3 wheeler for years with no brakes at all and just used downshifting. It was rarely a problem

Gotcha!

Here's the electric Attex article that Don was so kind to share with us from the November 1970 edition of Popular Science Magazine.

I also uploaded it to the Attex brochure section here: Attex Brochures and Literature

Talk about a rare 6x6. Could you imagine having an original one of those.

+ Reply to Thread