1978 Attex Superchief Restoration.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Attex Superchief Restoration.

1978 Attex Superchief Restoration.

After posting a wanted ad on this site for a Superchief project, I was contacted by a gentleman in Louisiana who said he had 2 complete Green Superchiefs and an extra green body. I told him I'd take them, so I headed down from the Chicago area to Louisiana. Just so happen that hurricane Gustav was also on it's way to Louisiana. When I finally arrived after a non-stop drive, I was invited in, took a nap, and was made breakfast in the morning. Very nice guy, I thanked him for the hospitality and the Superchiefs and was on my way back home, with Gustav on my tail.

When I got home, I got one of the Superchiefs running. I drove it and had fun with it, bad bearings and breaking axles, didn't care. When I ran out of replacement axles from the other machine, I decided it was time for a restoration. It's taken quite a bit of time, and time has been hard to come by, but here's where I'm at with the restoration.

The starting point

Frame out of tub. Little frame fabrication for seat. Frame painted.

New tires and wheels.

Frame in, engine cover fab., axles and bearings. It's a roller!!!

I went with keyed axles. They are 1" axles I got from mfgsupply.com They're $46 bucks and I cut them and get two axles out of it. They're turned down on the ends and threaded for my 4" on 4" keyed hubs, and plated! Martin keyed hardened sprockets. I cut the stock rotor off the tube and welded it to a keyed "weld a sprocket" hub. All held together with double split shaft collars.

I've rebuilt a Xenoah G50b and am going with a CDI set up for it. The g40 and g44 with CDI were SS models. So the G50b going in this machine will be a G50b s/s. So I'm calling the buggie a Attex 500 Superchief S/S. Had some decals made from a buddy did a little heat gun work and this is what I got so far.

Next up a T-20 rebuild, when I get the time........
    Last edited by jerbear; 04-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    Attex, there is no substitute

Thanks for sharing the write-up with everyone. I've enjoyed your pictures in the gallery. That turned out so nice.

Looking pretty sweet JB.

I hope to get my hands on a green SC someday.
    Banned

I really like it, Man you did a great job on those axels, not to mention that I am "GREEN" with Envy over that Poly Tub, did you have alot of work to do with the tub it's self to get it to look so nice? or is that just the nature of a poly tub Vs. an ABS tub?
    Every time I have to push 1... I buy 10 more bullets

@ vanmeterj1, both bodies I'm have are in really good shape. All I did was cleaned it real good with whitewall cleaner and took my time doing some heat gun work to shine it up. The stripe is painted with black fusion paint then a red pinstripe laid over it. Never worked on an abs body so I can't say.

Thats one nice lookin machine!

Joe.

Had a little time today.

Found some expanded steel layin round so gave it a quick sand blast, made my pieces for engine grilles, then gave it a little white imron. Hopefully, the grilles on the seat "catch" a little air to keep the engine compartment cooler.

Last edited by jerbear; 03-20-2011 at 08:24 PM.

WOW!!! Beautiful.

Bridget

Thanks Bridget,
    Can't wait to get the dash decal and attex inc. stickers I ordered from ya! OH YEAH !!!!

WooHOOO!!!

Just got home from work a bit ago and met the UPS guy in the drive. He had a nice little box for me from Apache Gear Inc., the decals for my buggie. They look great, can't wait to see them on the machine. Thanks Whipper and Bridget!!!!

+ Reply to Thread