Steel frame around Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steel frame around Max IV

Steel frame around Max IV

I want to run the angle around the front and rear of my Max IV just like the angle used on the Factory Rops. There is not a standard angle the size used on the ROPS. what are you guys using for that frame? I have noticed alot of people doing the same thing. I also would like to add a bumper. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by westkymaxiv; 01-06-2008 at 03:17 PM.

I used 2" x 1.5" angle and it fit great. I put the 2" section on top.

I just fabricated this winch mount integral with the front bumper as a replacement for what I built a a couple of years ago. The bumper is a continous piece of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/16" steel that wraps around to the sides. I'ts heavy but I need it for the trees and brush that I go through. I will be added mounting points for my full cage and other goodies when I get around to building them.
    Last edited by argohunter; 01-09-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Max 6 Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by argohunter View Post
    I just fabricated this winch mount integral with the front bumper as a replacement for what I built a a couple of years ago. The bumper is a continous piece of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/16" steel that wraps around to the sides. I'ts heavy but I need it for the trees and brush that I go through. I will be added mounting points for my full cage and other goodies when I get around to building them.
    Argohunter, that looks really good! Here's a picture of mine in the gallery:

I didnt think 2.5 X1.5 is a standard angle size is it? I dont think the size on the Max Rops can be matched can it? Argohunter I wish I was at good at fabrication as you are. That looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by westkymaxiv View Post
    I didnt think 2.5 X1.5 is a standard angle size is it? I dont think the size on the Max Rops can be matched can it? Argohunter I wish I was at good at fabrication as you are. That looks great.
    Isn't the Max ROPS 2" x 1.5"? I'm pretty sure that I just measured the Max IV, went to the scrap yard and found the same size for my Max II. I can measure again to find out for sure.

Edit: 2" x 1.5" is a standard size for unequal leg angle iron: Jersey Shore Steel Sizes & Weights
    Last edited by Mike; 01-09-2008 at 11:22 PM.

I think that is the right size. I was thinking I looked it up in a steel book and couldnt get that size that small. I guess I was wrong.
    thanks Eddie

That's a nice looking cage you made Mike. Looks like you imagineered it just right! I like the way you painted the steel frame on the tub lip to match the body. I had to look close at first to see how you mounted it on. Did you replace the original hex cap screws and wing nuts with something else like longer ones or did you use the original ones?

Max 6 Wheel Drive

Quote Originally Posted by argohunter View Post
    That's a nice looking cage you made Mike. Looks like you imagineered it just right! I like the way you painted the steel frame on the tub lip to match the body. I had to look close at first to see how you mounted it on. Did you replace the original hex cap screws and wing nuts with something else like longer ones or did you use the original ones?
    I did replace the wingnuts. I'm now just using regular nuts and bolts and the bolts had to be slightly longer.

Also, Eddie emailed me to ask about the thickness but I forgot about it until I saw this post again. I believe it was 3/16" thick Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I did replace the wingnuts. I'm now just using regular nuts and bolts and the bolts had to be slightly longer.

Also, Eddie emailed me to ask about the thickness but I forgot about it until I saw this post again. I believe it was 3/16" thick Eddie.
    How much of a job is it to get the tub open? Do you use some type of lift to raise the cage up and off the Max or can you lift the combined weight of the upper tub and cage as one would normally do, allowing it to hinge at the front of the Max?

Max 6 Wheel Drive

+ Reply to Thread