Halfway across the US in a new toy.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halfway across the US in a new toy.

Halfway across the US in a new toy.

Well, spent the last few months looking for a new truck. Unfortunately around here they are either former plow trucks beat on and/or rusting, poorly maintained, overpriced, super-high milage (240K on an 05!) or usually all of the above. (Ain't the North-East great? )

Anyways, ended up with a truck from Oklahoma. The trip back was great. (Repressing memories of 2-day "trip" out there ) Only issue was I had no extra time for stops, but driving half way across the country was A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I was surprised that gas isn't much cheaper out west. But driving out there IS a lot more fun.

If you're wondering, it's an 06 Silverado 2500 6.6 Duramax. P.O. said he didn't use the radio much, and just liked to listen to the engine instead. I agree, especially as the turbo spools, but I seemed to start going TOO fast
    This truck will allow me to bring machines to Busco this fall, it also means I can't make the spring ride, I have to work and it would be foolish to take it off with a brand spankin new payment to make, but hey, I was figuring I'd make One of the two anyways, and haven't tried the fall ride yet.

A couple friends have called me crazy, but I did save a lot of $$$, and had a lot more fun doing so. I recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.
    (Wish I could have made more stops but I got some photos. Here's a couple. Hernando de Soto over the Mississippi at night: Hudson Valley View from lookout along "The Goat Trail": How Many Miles From OK to NY?: The truck)
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Congratulations John!

Great looking truck... I hope she serves you well. I adore road trips. GeoJem and I drove from Santa Ana, CA to Buffalo last summer, and it was really amazing. We were on a pretty tight schedule, but were able to see some of the best parts of the country. It's incredible to see the desert southwest transistion into the Rockies, and transition again into the Great Plains.

I'm leaving today for another much shorter trip to Illinois. That's only about 720 miles, 15 miles or so closer than Busco, which I'll be doing in three more weeks.

It's a shame you can't make the Spring Ride at Busco, but I know your position. Get a big honkin' trailer and get down for the fall!

~m

It really is cool to see how much everything changes as you travel state to state.

The big honkin trailer is being sought at the moment. Another elusive creature around here, seems everyone thinks their 18 year old bent bruised and rusted/rotted deck trailer is worth exactly 97% of what a new trailer of only slightly better build quality goes for. If it's an aluminum trailer then it doesn't rust and therefore is forever worth exactly what it was purchased as new. If tires were replaced, add approximately half that cost on top of the 100% of new value as well

Really nice truck, John. It looks like you had a great trip as well, at least on the way back. Sorry we're not going to see you in April.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

My neighbor has the same model truck, and he uses it to haul alot of trailers for farm equipment. If you're going to use the truck to pull trailers, or if you live in hills, I recomend installing the Bully Dog propane kit for diesel trucks. He has it on his truck and he said it gets him 5-10 more mpg pulling a load. Plus the tank fits right under his toolbox.(no more stray stuff in the bed rolling under there and getting lost...)

If you came across I 40 you came just 20 miles south of me!
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Hate to hear you will not be able to attend Busco John but we understand, just try to make October. Nice truck, hope it serves you well....i am sure it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Really nice truck, John. It looks like you had a great trip as well, at least on the way back. Sorry we're not going to see you in April.
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Hate to hear you will not be able to attend Busco John but we understand, just try to make October. Nice truck, hope it serves you well....i am sure it will.
    Thanks guys. So far I love it. Fingers crossed. Not a big deal not making April. I knew I'd only do one of the two, went for Spring because turnout looks great but I'm just as happy waiting till fall. (OK, that's a bit of a lie, but I'll be happy I did in October )Hope you'll both be there in October, too.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall View Post
    My neighbor has the same model truck, and he uses it to haul alot of trailers for farm equipment. If you're going to use the truck to pull trailers, or if you live in hills, I recomend installing the Bully Dog propane kit for diesel trucks. He has it on his truck and he said it gets him 5-10 more mpg pulling a load. Plus the tank fits right under his toolbox.(no more stray stuff in the bed rolling under there and getting lost...)

If you came across I 40 you came just 20 miles south of me!
    Thanks Stonewall. Once I get used to how I use it, I'm going to look at a chip or mod for better MPG, although I can't complain now.
    I was on I-40 the whole way, out of OK, through AR, and through TN
    I would have loved to see who I was passing near to, but every time I found a good truck and started planning, something went wrong. I didn't mention anything to ANYONE outside my banker till the day before I was leaving for it. I'm not normally superstitious, but after the 4th deal went South, I had to wonder.

+ Reply to Thread