Chain Questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chain Questions

Chain Questions

What is the difference between 530 and #50 chain... Are they interchangable? I am looking to buy some bulk chain for my 1997 MAX IV. Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks
    Last edited by Mike; 09-17-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: moved thread from Max forum to General Discussion as this topic can apply to all AATVs.

#530 is 1/2" chain that has rubber o-rings between the links to keep the dirt and grime out of the rollers, #50 chain is the same 1/2" size but without the rubber o-rings, it does not last as long, but has the same strength rateing as the #530, but is less expensive, yes they are interchangable
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    #530 is 1/2" chain that has rubber o-rings between the links to keep the dirt and grime out of the rollers, #50 chain is the same 1/2" size but without the rubber o-rings, it does not last as long, but has the same strength rateing as the #530, but is less expensive, yes they are interchangable
    thats not always the case 530 atv chain does not have to BE ORING i run non oring 530 and it is noticeably heavier than #50 the thickness of the links wall is much heavier on 530 to prevent chain stretch and handle the shock loads better in my opinion the 530 has outlasted 50 on my machine 3 to 1 and i was buying some expensive #50 and it still doesent compare to 530
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

Yep. 520 has a stronger tensile strength than comparable brand/make #50, and 530 is the top dog stuff. It USUALLY IS O-ring, in fact I'm not sure where to get non-O-ring 530, but I agree the difference between #50/520(50HD)/530 is plate thickness (maybe pin also? not sure what all is altered exactly to increase the tensile strength), the O-ring is just to hold in lube/out dirt.

Oh, Look for X-ring, O-rings are actually poor at keeping out dirt, X-rings DO make a big difference there. As for keeping in lube, not sure if there's a difference at all.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    It's my understanding that the 5 in #50(520 & 530) means 5 eighths of an inch. #40 chain is the 4 eighths or 1/2" stuff.
    I guess I should go measure to be sure

The next digit is the roller width also in 1/8". ex: 520 = 5/8 pitch and 2/8" roller. The 3rd digit code is 0 for standard chain, 1 for lightweight chain, and 5 for bushed chain with no rollers. Which got me to wondering what is standard #50 then? Founds some links with good info. There is a lot to chains.....

Roller chain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notes on Sprockets and Chains
    Last edited by LarryW; 03-26-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Buggyman got picky with my typo, lol 4/8 should be 5/8ths

For the Max IV, I like to use 530 o-ring chain on the short chain from the trans to the rear axle. That chain takes a beating especially from the higher HP engines and it holds up a lot better than regular #50. For the rest of the vehicle, using #50 chain works fine, saves money, and lasts a long time since it takes much less stress. Many Max owners never adjust or lube the chains and the 530 o-ring also holds up to that abuse much better than #50.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    The next digit is the roller width also in 1/8". ex: 520 = 5/8 pitch and 2/8" roller. The 3rd digit code is 0 for standard chain, 1 for lightweight chain, and 5 for bushed chain with no rollers. Which got me to wondering what is standard #50 then? Founds some links with good info. There is a lot to chains.....

Roller chain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notes on Sprockets and Chains
    Good info Larry!
    The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

+ Reply to Thread