My winch only works in one driection now??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My winch only works in one driection now??

My winch only works in one driection now??

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for tech talk, but i am having a problem with my winch on my MAXII..

I used it once to pull off a snow bank, it would go both directions when i used the switch.. The winch seemed to be straining to pull the MAX (i was standing next to it hitting the switch not in it).. Then the winch stopped reeling cable in & going forward..

Reverse worked though, so i let it reverse all the way to unspool it, then as you know when it gets to the end, the cable begins to spool from the opposite direction & the spool now starts to reel in line.. Sooo now all the cable is reeled back in but there is not reverse so i cant unspool!..

Is this a problem in the winch or switch possibly, that there is only one direction?

I'm no expert, but it's easy to check to see if it's the winch or the switch (I suspect the switch)
    Disconect the wires att the winch.
    Use a battery and a set of booster cables to check the winch (Pos to one stud, Neg to the other. Winch should turn. Switch cables around, winch should turn opposite direction)

What kind of switch are you using?

RD

Yeah, I'd say it's the switch. If it's without solenoids (and probably is) and it works in the opposite direction than your only point of failure is the switch. The problem you get with switches at high current is arcing, which wears down on the contacts and dirtys up the contacts as well.

had that happen with my warn winch on my honda rincon.turned out to be the solenoid.easy fix.

If the motor turns in one direction it is NOT the motor....it'll be the switch or solenoid. The cable is supposed to be wound in one direction only, you should unspool it and put it back in the propper direction. DC motors run backwards when the polarity is reversed, but not as efficient. The winch will be timed to be strongest and use less electricity in its proper direction. You could burn it up pulling backwards like you have it. It's also not good for the cable, the spool is designed for one way wind only.

Hmmm so i need a new solenoid? or can it be fixed, where is it located??

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I'm no expert, but it's easy to check to see if it's the winch or the switch (I suspect the switch)
    Disconect the wires att the winch.
    Use a battery and a set of booster cables to check the winch (Pos to one stud, Neg to the other. Winch should turn. Switch cables around, winch should turn opposite direction)

RD

No...try this first, like most have said, it's PROBABLY your switch, NOT the solenoid.

if you wanted to test the solenoid (relays), you will need to find the pack first (a group of 4 of these... just follow the large winch cables back from the winch). Each solenoid will have two big spigots for the large wires and either 1 or 2 smaller spigots for the control. If they only have one little one, this will be your +12v control, if they have 2 little spigots, find the one that will be grounded (all relays will share this same connection and that wire will be grounded somewhere to the frame or to - on the battery).. the other one will the the +12V. For the +12V, take a wire from the + on the battery and touch each +12V spigot one at a time - everytime you touch you should hear a click. If everyone clicks, than they are more than likely ok. You can do a deeper test, attach an ohm meter accross the big leads on one of the solenoids (either direction, the ohm reading should be very high or not read at all) and touch your wire to the +12V small spigot again - the solenoid should click and you should get a low ohm reading (1 ohm maybe?) - do this for all of them.

h-bridge.jpg
    Last edited by Beeman; 04-04-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added picture

+ Reply to Thread