largest tire size on an Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: largest tire size on an Argo

largest tire size on an Argo

hey guys what is the largest tire size you can put on an Argo (old or new) ?? and can you mod the tub to get even bigger on it ??
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

I was kinda wondering the same thing. On the older Argo's it's axle spacing, 24" being max. One member here has a modified Conquest with the axles spaced out to fit 25's, but I think that would be a lot of work. What is the actual axle spacing on the new Argo models? They have 25" tires, so I would assume the axles are at least 26" C-C. You would hit your limit here before hitting the tub with the tire. Was also wondering how wide you could go with the tires before you start having issues.

RD

Isn't there a picture of an Avenger here on the board with 26" Vampire ASX tires?

Edit: Here is the thread http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...s-avenger.html
    Last edited by Mike; 03-29-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added link to thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Isn't there a picture of an Avenger here on the board with 26" Vampire ASX tires?

Edit: Here is the thread http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...s-avenger.html
    That Avenger looks awesome, I forgot about that thread.
    Are there other options for tires that are even wider? I don't have any plans right now to get another set, but it is something to consider. I'm not really a fan of "Douling" my tires, but wider might be OK where I ride.

RD

The widest tires to make it onto an Argo so far are the ASXs. Aired down to 1-2 PSI they're darn near 14" wide. Aired up to 5-6PSI they're about 27" in diameter and the gap between the front two tires is pretty small, but they don't rub on an Avenger. The summary I posted in the original thread covers other fitment details.

Performance-wise, they're as close to tracks as possible, swim great, but they do have a weight/drag penalty. It's not a big deal but you really need to at least shim the clutch. I went a bit further and also added a spring rev kit and governor delete good for about 4500rpm. Similar to running with tracks, when it's really weighted down on a hill, etc., you just put it in low but then instead of topping out at a lower speed, it continues to climb to regular speeds but build even more power, lots more power past the governed point. Low range gets more powerful but also faster.

Tires drive these machines. My original plan like Rock, was a 27hp Kaw in my now sold Conquest, but some serious frame stretching to fit 26" tires. I think the ultimate machine would be the durability of the Conquest with the big ASX and some added power, but the frame stretching is quite a project. In the end it all came down to the tires and aside from stretching or doubles the Conquest is a bear to accomodate in that area. I ended up moving to the Avenger, pretty much to accomodate the ASXs; go figure. If anyone is interested I have a new 27hp Kawasaki FD750 in search of a worthy Conquest.

+ Reply to Thread