Clutches for Kohler Command 25

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clutches for Kohler Command 25

Clutches for Kohler Command 25

I found a really good deal on a used Kohler Command 25, and will be purchasing it in the near future for my Hustler. Since I'm getting a new engine, I don't want to use the same 30 year old clutches that are on my machine. What clutches would you recommend that I buy to get the most out of this new motor? I would prefer a engine clutch that fits a larger diameter shaft, as the motor I'm buying has a 1 5/8" shaft.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

hate to tell yo this, but you are gonna have to find a smaller crank shaft for the engine. 1 1/8 clutches can be tricky to find and I've never seen one bigger than that. 1" is the common size. I wouldn't dare try to turn a crank down that far, as you will end up turning all of the heat treat off, and getting into the soft metal toward the center of the shaft
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I also don't want to rain on your parade, but any Command will not fit under the rear seat of a Hustler. You chould modify your rear seat but I don't know how usable it would be. I've seen pics in the gallery were someone modded the seat around one. If you don't plan on using a rear seat you could always make it into a cargo area.

Race is right. A lot of the Kohler 25s are going for cheaper prices because of their off-beat shaft sizing. 1 5/8", 1 7/16", etc. are pretty common to see on them, due to their wide array of applications. Recreatives can sell you a 1 1/8" clutch brand new, but I don't think you can safely bore one of them to accomodate the larger shaft, without worries of weakening the clutch itself. The last thing you want is to have the clutch hub weakened and potentially let go of the shaft at 3,000 rpm.

Rolling_X_6 has a Kohler 25 in his Max IV. (He's actually selling it, too bad it's a real nice machine). I don't know what he's using clutch-wise, or what size shaft is on it. You could try sending him a PM to see where he got the clutch and if it is the same size shaft as your Kohler. I don't know how quickly he'll respond being he's getting out of 6-wheelers, but he IS a real nice guy, I'm sure he'll help out with whatever info he can.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Thanks for all the help, I'll definatly send him a PM. If a clutch the right size isn't available, where do I need to go to get a smaller crank? If I go to the smaller crank, what will be the best clutch set to put on it? Rear seat clearance isn't really a problem for me because I was planning on making something else that will allow for better airflow around the engine anyway.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

I PM'd Rolling_x_6, and he said that he never had the clutch off of the shaft, so he had no idea what diameter it was. I think I will just go with a R.I. clutch and a 1 1/8" shaft, so where can I get the crank?
    1974 Honda ATC 70

OK, I didn't know if he had changed the clutch or not. Guess not.
    Not sure if this is correct or not, but here's a start
    Small Engine Warehouse: KO-2401428S - Kohler Engine Parts Crankshafts KOHLER CRANKSHAFT 24 014 28-S, fits CH18-CH25, 1"x2-3/4"

BELOW: this is the main Kohler page, click crankshafts on the left column and you can see all the Kohler shafts they stock.
    Kohler*Engine Parts Search by Small Engine Warehouse
    Last edited by 6X6; 04-05-2011 at 02:41 AM.

It would seem that I need to know wether it is a CH25 or a CH 730, before I attempt to find a crank. There is a 1 1/8" used crank on ebay for a CH25. Will know what model it is for sure tomorrow.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

Funny, there's a 1 7/16" crank that fits both the CH25 AND CH730, but the one I linked for you says it fits the CH25, but does NOT mention the CH730.
    Hopefully you can get the 1 1/8" crank.

+ Reply to Thread