86-87 Argo 6X6 Hard to start

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 86-87 Argo 6X6 Hard to start

86-87 Argo 6X6 Hard to start

Anyone out there have any tricks for starting 86 or 87 Argo 6x6 with Tecumseh 16hp single cyl. Bought one this weekend for my dad to Sugar with and it is tricky to start. Has a three position ignition switch with a fuel pump one position from start. Also has a choke. I know that they are all a little cold blooded, but i am sure someone out there knows a trick or two. Also, i have a parts catalog that i downloaded, but cant seem to find a operators manual for that year of argo. Any help would be appreciated.

Nelson from NH

Yes!!! divorce the Tjunksie fuel pump from the carb and convert it to a Briggs Vanguard fuel pump, best mod you could ever do to a Tejunksie, if you need help i can show you how to do it
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

Eightwheeler,

Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend changing out the engine as well, or just the fuel pump. If so, do you know what Briggs would fit with the current bolt pattern and not require any modifications. Thanks for your help. NP

oh yes, if you have the cash change out the motor too, those cast iron Tecumseh motors were not much but grief, i changed over to an 18 hp Briggs and it is now twice the machine
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Thanks for the advise. Did the 18hp Briggs swap easily? There is plenty of room in the engine compartment, but i have read some horor stories of engine swaps gone wrong, ie. melting the body. I bought a Argo 6x6 which i believe is a 87 or 88. The number on the tag is T6276. The engine had a compression reading of just over 100. Appreciate any advice out there. We are using the machine for Sugaring in Northern Vermont. Still lots of snow this late in April! NP

well you have to be carefull, some uppers do not have room to fit twins under them, if your upper is flat in the front all the way up to the hood your not looking at a direct bolt in, i would just freshen up the tejunksie and be done with it
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

+ Reply to Thread