Chain clean-up

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chain clean-up

That would probably be mineral spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by brebett View Post
    Thanks to everybody. What I called varsol is a solvent they use to clean paint brush.

Quote Originally Posted by brebett View Post
    Hi, I just cleaned my chain but I'm a little bit worried about dipping them in motor oil. Mostly on the drive chain near the cluch and disk brake. Won't that throw oil on the cluch and disk brake.
    If you dip them, then wipe them off, you will likely be fine. Not much chance of slinging oil on the clutch, but it's easy to contaminate the brakes with oil. Even so, that's not really a problem, I always carry a can of "Brake Clean" or something similar like Electromotive (Gas could be used in a pinch if needed). Dribble it or spray it on the brake rotors and in the brake mechanism to get rid of the oil.

Don't try to go too far with oil contaminated brakes. The last time I tried to "just make it to the truck" I managed to catch my brakes on fire from the heat generated. Talk about "action packed" for a few seconds there. Not a raging open flame or anything, but red hot and smoking like crazy.

RD

I found this a couple weeks ago. There's nothing like a little ingenuity.

Chain Pickle Motorcycle Chain Cleaner - webBikeWorld

Hi, it seems very interesting. I hope that I can find those dill around here.
    Jack

You CAN use 30w- or 40w motor oil on chains, but it really isn't the best stuff; In a pinch in the field, yes.
    Stop at the local motorcycle shop and get some decent quality chain lube. You might also find it at an auto parts store or hardware store.

+ Reply to Thread