Ripped Floties... Fixable!?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ripped Floties... Fixable!?

Question Ripped Floties... Fixable!?

Hey Guys!!!

I only have a 1970s Argo 8x8...

But just picked up myself a good BeeHoo Amphicat!!!

My question is, it had 6 perfect, may I repeat PERFECT origional Amphicat low pressure flotation tires, the big fat ones with only a 2 inch rim...

But the guy I just got it off of, yanked on it with his truck to move it out of the snow, and I witnessed the 6 perfect floties rip... yeah, rip apart... we didn't know it was frozen to the ground...

So... now I am left with 6 perfectally ripped floties( )... sooo, I was wondering, I have heard of people actually patching these tires with fishing line and rubber...

Is that actually possilble?

As for the actual size of the rips, some are worse than others, at best 2-4 inches long, at worst 6-8 inches.

I know these tires are old and no one really wants them, but I was looking forward to trying them out in the swamp... any ideas?

Thanks!

That is to bad. There is no way that I know of to fix them. Sorry for your loss.

They can be repaired, my dad used to fix giant Yuke tires by using raw rubber and vulcanizing them,those tire are sooo expensive that they can't just throw them out if they get a big puncture wound.
    I know he fixed at least 2 of our original firestones on the sportster we had growing up.
    If u think about it thats what the tire was made from raw rubber in a mold and cured with heat.
    I've never actually done it, but Ive seen it done many times( dad would be inside those huge tires with a grinder prepping for the raw rubber to have something to stick to, and get rid of the damage,or split.)
    But now of course it didn't cost anything for him to do it on our own stuff,except a little time and raw rubber.
    Just search for tire repair and I'm sure it's still done, by someone, like a mining shop or trucking/logging outfit.
    Prob wouldn't be worth the cost to have it done though, those guys are saving 10,000.00 tires from the scrapyard, to save a 100.00 flotation tire? Prob not.
    If dad still had that stuff I'd ask him about trying it, but he sold it all when he retired years ago.

Thanks for all the info guys!

I had just seen a video where a gut sticked in rubber and line to close the gap in the tire, after of which it held air great.

Anyhow, I think I will try to patch up the tires and see how it works.

I'll keep yall' updated.

Thanks

Floaties repair

Hi, look at this site, Tyre repair and accessories/Repair products for tyres .
    Rema is all over the world so there will be a branch near you.
    Use the VULC COMPOUND A+B in conjunction with Special blue cement, or Cold-vulcanizing compound A+B ( Red tin at the bottom of page) also in conjunction with Blue cement.It stick like **** to a woolen blancket.
    There is also a lot of crossply patches for the big rips.

Regards

+ Reply to Thread