Buying a new HDI

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a new HDI

Mud bug, if you don't mind me asking why did you sell the mudd ox?

akpride

After driving my Mudd-Ox 8x8 since last november, and then driving a new 2011 ,Argo Frontier , I realized that a more agile 6x6 like this was more what I needed for the kind of places I liked to go

Hi guys just wondering if anyone had any issues with the bucket seats on the hdi and the tranny running hot when used alot in low gear

Ok, here is what i know which is limited about the HDI transmission. The belt issue is easily solved by using a Heavy Duty belt. This you can get from your dealer or have him order it on the machine from the factory. This will stop the belt issues.
    All machines received have HD belts from factory so we have not had this issue.(Requested option by Dealer)

As far as we have seen there have been 19 machines used in commercial service with no heating issues...and they are driven in a commercial application.

As far as working on the transmission there have not been any brought back for transmission failure yet. Argo don't want dealers tearing into these transmission. It is a dealer change out item. This is from Argo(ODG). Haven't had one that has needed it yet with any of the machines that are in use.

They do not recommend running all the time in low gear this does cause heat build up in the transmissions. Just running down the open paths with no reason to counter steer, high gear is best. Trail riding should not be a over heating problem as a lot of the time if you are not moving the gears are not generating heat to the tranny case. The past skid steering required a cooling fan for the brakes due to heat generated from skid steering the HDI doesn't have them.

The water cooled engines are seeing a higher temp in the engine compartment verses the older models but this can be easily cured by installing a brake cooling fan and running it in reverse and ducting it to the exhaust side or through the hood scoop. One machine was done this way because of the extreme temperature of the region of the world it is operating in. The braking fans installed on the older transmissions were circulating air while cooling the brakes, the HDI doesn't have them so the temp will be a little higher in the HDI models. This part was from a older Argo and easily obtained other items could be used.

As we know the argo's will (Past Models) generate heat in the engine compartment and you can feel it at your feet....all Argos do this. This is normal.

If this is your first Argo this may seem strange as to where the heat is coming from. This is a good feature for the winter not as good for summer but it is what it is.

The T-20 generates heat as we had readings on the T-20's from a heat gun while in the Glamis Dunes. The T-20 is also located behind the driver which makes the heat issue less noticeable.

I am very curious about the temp of the transmissions, is the oil boiling out or is it just hot? If someone would get a reading with a temp gun and let me know what that is i could have some idea for a comparison.

I have a Avenger 2006 with the old style transmission and have had great service with 230 hrs running. Alias: School Bus/Black Limo

These are just the facts as we know them and my experience with Argos, being friends with a Argo dealer that has 35 years of experience working on Argo products is not a bad thing and he is only 1.5 miles away.

So far I have had 2 with major failure I sent both trannys back to odg for repairs. We have a lot of commercial. Buissness. Owners who use these machines. Some companies won't even consider a avenger. Due to. Having frame issues in the past. They only purchase. Centaurs. Don't laugh but I prefer the old style tranny as long as the pms are done they have held up good. Even the new heavy duty belt squeels at times. Not a 100 percent fix. Talk to. Mudbug. And mightymax. They really work these machines

thejunkman

The HD belt was installed on my Argo Frontier by Tim Schafer right before I received it because he knew that there was an on going problem with the stock clutch belts squealing. Tim also sent Mightymax an HD clutch belt because his stock clutch belt was squealing too. A lot of times when I,m pulling out a 4-wheeler thats stuck in thick mud ,my HD belt will make a short chirp and then stop. This is in low gear. My HD belt will only make a chirping sound if I have my Frontier under a lot of load. On the flip side though , if I,d put my Max IV in the exact situations that I,ve had my Argo in to make the belt chirp, my stock Max belt would squeal like a pig, and keep on squealing just as long as I had a big load on the belt. The clutch belt on my Max would then need replacing.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 04-30-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akpride View Post
    Dromas, congrats on your machine. Did u get the tracks. Did they tell u anything about any warranty?

1999f1504x4, have u had any issues with the machines u have been running and what are you using them for?
    yes i purchased rubber tracks but have not used them yet i did not get the dealer to install them and have to put them together still.

warrenty info can be for here scroll near the last page. i also purchased a extra 2 years of warrenty this covers anything the original warrenty did.

http://http://www.argoatv.com/_uploads/recreational/documents/344_Argo_Operators_Manual_671-21-10-2010.pdf_(2011_Models)v1.pdf

The belt issues on the frontier shouldn't be the same because they are on the old style tranny right?

akpride

I was told that Argo was using a french company to buy their clutch belts from but later on switched to an american company for the new model Argo,s. A theory that I,ve been told is this: The french clutch belt sheves don,t line up correctly with the angle on the belt thats made by the american company. This was,nt a problem with the older Argo,s that used the open differential transmission ,because both the clutch and the belts both came from the same company.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 04-30-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thejunkman View Post
    So far I have had 2 with major failure I sent both trannys back to odg for repairs. We have a lot of commercial. Buissness. Owners who use these machines. Some companies won't even consider a avenger. Due to. Having frame issues in the past. They only purchase. Centaurs. Don't laugh but I prefer the old style tranny as long as the pms are done they have held up good. Even the new heavy duty belt squeels at times. Not a 100 percent fix. Talk to. Mudbug. And mightymax. They really work these machines
    Application of the equipment is the key. As you know the Centaur is a brute of a machine but is not user friendly to recreation use. To heavy to float well and wide, not to mention the expense. Not to cut the Centaur but it is more built to be a industrial/commercial machine. You have probably seen the abuse that these machines are put through. I haven't seen a Avenger with frame problems but then again we don't see everything, but you can destroy anything. As you are aware buying the right equipment for the right job is a big key to the success of the machine and how you take care of it. Machines usually only show up when they will no longer start or move which brings a multitude of other problems that have went unchecked, but we are talking commercial use and the operators have no investment in these machines.....thus the term " Drive it like a Rental". Right machine for right task. You can not ask a Avenger to do the same things that a Centaur does. Yet they are out there performing like champs. Bean counters always look for the cheapest avenue.

Belt squeal will always be a factor with all these type machines in some form. Sometimes we ask the machine to do things that is beyond the physics of the components. If we think about it, friction and pressure are what makes these machines move with a cvt. When the traction or wheels are locked in place by a rut or other condition the tranny with actually stop but the motor is still trying to make it go and then you have the squeal.

My Avenger has the 25x12x9 tires which are a great tire(My Opinion) but, their traction is much greater then the Rawhide III's. This i noticed from the start. The Rawhide III had more traction than the Runamucks which i noticed when i went from a Conquest to the Avenger. I could do donuts all day long with the Conquest but no so easy on dry ground with the Avenger without getting a little belt squeal. The heavier the load and more pressure on the tires plus traction makes it harder on the components to stay 100% engaged so squeal WILL occur occasionally. Getting out of the throttle and letting the belt move down to a lower ration is how i have learned to deal with this situation.....perfect no, but it is what works with my machine. I have only been driving AATV's for about 5 years and it is a learning process, knowing how to handle your machine in a lot of different situations is something that time with your machine and knowing how it reacts can give you. The items mentioned above are things that we learn as AATV riders,.. learn through time of operation and a new to the sport may not know. Getting stuck.....is something we all do, some are just better at that than others...but no matter how good the machine or the driver is....you will get stuck sooner or later and we will get it on video!

I think sharing this info is good for perspective buyers so that they can ask questions from their dealers as they consider to purchase a machine. Face it these machines are not cheap. This is quite a investment and you really hope you are making a good choice when doing so.

No matter what, i have found that Argo has a great machine and there is a support system behind it to accommodate you needs: Be it spare parts/accessories or advice/service. I have seen them bend over backwards to make customers feel good about their machines. I am almost certain there are one or two out there that will disagree but that can happen.

Just a note: This is my opinion and others will agree i am sure. If you go to buy a machine off ebay or from a dealer that does not service or keep spare parts you are setting yourself up for a hit. You WILL need parts and sometimes advice and a good dealer can supply you this.

I know i have strayed a little from the primary subject but i thought it was a important thing to say for members that are considering these machines. Would i buy a HDI yes i would...but i have a good machine as it is and don't feel right now is the time, but when i get ready the HDI Avenger will be my choice. I like the 8 wheel machines.....just my preference.

Hope this is useful information and that it stays on the upbeat side. Remember we are a small group and should help each other to keep this a great sport.

Lewis

+ Reply to Thread