What happened to the Frontier 480???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What happened to the Frontier 480???

What happened to the Frontier 480???

Hey guys!

In 09 ODG reased the all new "Frontier 480", what happened to it?

Why is it no longer produced?

Thanks!

From what I've ascertained, the 14hp model (the 480), simply didn't have a market at that low end (despite the dismal economy). I've heard from dealers and reps that the 6x6s are much rarer overall than the 8x8s, and the smaller engines are rarer than the bigger engines (as in the 6x6 650 23hp is more popular than the 6x6 580 18hp). Without having ever driven a 480, I can only surmise that the 14hp Briggs would only go so far in torque (and in my having a 580 18hp on order, I elected the lower gear ratio, maximizing torque at that engine size). I did read that it was simple to swap parts and make that 14hp Vanguard into a 16hp Vanguard. In all, with mechanical skid steer systems, I think smaller engines -- especially a 14hp Briggs -- is too severe of a hit to performance to justify a lower price point (and, in all candor, from an OEM price point, I doubt that the 14hp costs much less, if any, than the 18hp, so ODG is probably doing right by sticking with an 18hp as its lowest price point engine).

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker View Post
    Hey guys!

In 09 ODG reased the all new "Frontier 480", what happened to it?

Why is it no longer produced?

Thanks!
    I never drove a 480 but the Bigfoot was a success for many years with the 18 hp engine. Be advised that the 580 does NOT come standard with a skid plate unless you order the option. Also I would seriously consider the optional trailer hitch and maybe the optional front axle extensions. How could you pull a stuck machine backward if it didn,t have a trailer hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    How could you pull a stuck machine backward if it didn,t have a trailer hitch?
    ...By not getting stuck in the first place.

The 480 was just too gutless. It was a fine machine if equipped with the 3.3 tranny, just no speed demon. In the thick mud the 14 just didn't have the testosterone to move the machine. There were several advertised for $8600 or so. That would be a deal if you had a donor engine in the wings. It did need the bearing extensions, skid plate, hitch, etc., but for the money, not a bad deal.
    Rumor has it, the 580 may be going the same way. Too bad, these are great machines. 18 horses is really plenty. The old style transmission is bullet proof.
    I hope Argo rethinks taking the 580 off the market.

+ Reply to Thread