Body problem.... my argo look like a banana!!! need some help!!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Body problem.... my argo look like a banana!!! need some help!!!

Smile Body problem.... my argo look like a banana!!! need some help!!!

Hi everyone.... I got some problem with the body of my 1985 vanguard 6x6.... The previous owner had the upper and lower parts of the body replace, both parts are brand new. Im not sure what happened but i think when they transport it they bent the body with the strap passing over the seats( middle of the argo)... It is my first Argo and i didn 't noticed this big detailed when i bought it. With the 13 in tracks it's almost touching the body near the seats. I tried to straightened it but it went back like it was on little less... Did someone have a good trick to make that right....

Martin

Make a set of wedges to put inplace & get the body adjusted. Then you could find a paint & body shop that still has an old style paint booth / oven. heat up the entire body & allow it to cool with you'r wedges in place. This is basically on a larger scale of how body shops repair the plastic bumpers on newer cars!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

The Argo chassis has steel supports that extend from the seat to over the fenders. maybe the previous owner never screwed or riveted the body to the supports. I have also seen the steel supports cracked and loose.

I think I misunderstood! Is it the entire body, or just the upper half?
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

Hello GREASEMONKEY...

It's actually both part of the body that look like a banana.... the previous owner used 1/4 in stainless bolts to put both parts together. I removed the bolts on both sides and stretch the body as much as i can... Put some rivet instead of bolts and after a little while i think he got back as he was... I tough putting a steel angle bar all around but i figured that it's gonna be difficult to put back the rivet because of the tickness of the metal and the two poly sides... What do you think...

Martin
    Last edited by martwell; 01-21-2008 at 06:04 PM.

You could use the angle on the top, and put a few bolts through it, with over sizedwasher on the bottom to help distribute the pressure of being forced back straight! When you go to bolt it together, just use a few C-clamps to keep it all tight.
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

It is obvious to see? Could you post a pic?

Smile Pics of the Green Banana!!!!!

IM000642.jpg

Hi Beeman, I'ts my first time posting pictures here so I'll do my best to show you...clic for the larger pic and look just over the center tire you' ll see a dip in the body line. Track filled with wet snow come bumping on the body, and it's annoying !!! I 'll sure gonna find a solution for that problem sooner or later....

Martin
    Last edited by martwell; 01-23-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Smile

Hi GREASEMONKEY... Your idea is really good but did i have to have the body stretch with the winch while i hold it back in the rear with the trailer hitch just to give the body his good straight shape.... Also do you think that i have to unbolt/ unrivet?? all of them and separate both parts of the body....

Martin

Martin,

If this was done by straping it down too tight and it's just the plastic thats warped, I would try this farm yard fix:

Bring it into a garage or a place where you can hang rachet straps from, then hook the straps to the lip of the argo where its bent down (probably two a side would be good..), ratchet the straps tight and then apply heat to the bent area (all evenlly around) and let it slowly come back up to straighten out.

Cheers,

Beeman

+ Reply to Thread