CCW won't start - no spark

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCW won't start - no spark

CCW won't start - no spark

Hi Guys (and girls?) new member in the UK here.

I have a 6x6 Amphicat, believed 1973, been stood maybe 15 years. Sometimes outside, sometimes inside.

CCW Engine. Made by Kyoritsu - Nori for Curtiss-Wright
    single cylinder 2 stroke.
    Model KEC 225
    Electric start (which works) & pull start.

Reading this thread, it does not seem a popular engine. Used more often snow mobiles perhaps?

Got the flywheel, off unbelievably easily.
    Removed dirty points & cleaned. Refitted, gapped by eye. Gap shouldn't be critical to get A spark so long as they open & close?
    Magnets inside of flywheel quite clean, but gave a quick rub over with some light emery paper.

Original HT lead has been cut about 3-4" out from the casing then goes into a screw connector with a replacement length of HT lead. I've removed the jointer, cut both ends & rejointed. The replacement length has some chafe damage but is not through & lies well away from anything metal.

Tried a different plug - direct to earth by means of a battery jump lead.

After having cleaned the points I really expected to be in business. NOTHING. Not a sign of a spark.

The back plate & coil pack looks like this one:

Welcome to Richard's Relics Parts for ATV's

There is what appears to be an electronic ignition device bolted to one of the engine mounting rails. A small black plastic box.
    There are 3 wires coming out of one end which connect with push-in connectors to wires going into the engine & so to the coil area.
    I have split & cleaned all 3 joints.
    There is a 4th (yellow from memory) wire comes from the engine, which is not in use.
    On the diagram on top of the box, it shows the 3 wires out plus one in at the other end.
    There is no sign of there being, nor having been, a wire there.

Your ideas very welcome.

Hi Cowboy, welcome to the site. There is an Amphicat manual in our literature section of the site that may be helpful Amphicat 6x6 Manual as well as a few Kohler Two Stroke Manuals I am running out the door so I didn't have time to see which motors are listed but that may be a start.

Look here as well:

Engine Manuals
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Thanks for the replies guys. Mike, its a CCW engine, not Kohler. (Just trying to confuse everybody with my user name - its actually a play on Cola Cowboys, a famous book about UK truck drivers running to the Middle East in the 70's & 80's)

Not had time to look at this much recently, but I have made one discovery thanks to the link to the Amphicat manual here.
    (some drawings seem to have disappeared since May?)

The device I thought was an electronic ignition is metal, not plastic and it is a rectifier, not an EI.

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Look here as well:

Engine Manuals
    Some good stuff there micmac, thanks, but unfortunately my KEC225 don't seem to listed :-(

it's been 40 yrs since I worked on a 225 CCW ,,,, but as i recall that system rarely failed, if the points are clean and set close to specs. they would run.
    I've seen many more primary coils (behind flywheel) go bad then secondary's . Maybe try a condenser you might get lucky,, anything you can fit in there will work.
    As far as getting a coil,,, these guys on here would know better then me where to get one.
    good luck.

Scott

Thank you Scott. I will seek out the condenser when I have time.

Guys, do you think a motorcycle type electronic ignition might get it going even with a duff coil & condenser?

sometimes new points are coated.run a file through them and clean with paper.set at .014.then put a champion spark plug,like a n-2 and set the gap at .030.then if that dont do it,spray wd 40 on just the fine wire primary coil on the stator.let sit for 1/2 then try it again.wd 40 is excellent for taking out moister and giving a knicked winding a temporary coat of protection.make sure first you got the points hooked up properly,no wires grounding out.then if thats not it,check your plug coil wires and leads.make sure they are in there good in the coil itself.make sure they are grounded good and not rusty where they mount.did you put new condensors as well?

+ Reply to Thread