Dan67's Hustler 950 Rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan67's Hustler 950 Rebuild

Dan67's Hustler 980/950 Conversion

Hey guys I wanted to update my thread. It is no longer a 950 NOS rebuild. Now it is a 950 to 980 Conversion. Got a new engine lift today and lifting straps.

1) New upper and lower tubs are on order.
    2) New 23hp Brigs Vanguard on order.
    3) Frame goes to fabrication shop on Friday. New body band. Side, front, & rear supports added to frame to support the new body band. New bumpers front and rear. New winch mount plate. New T-20 mount top & bottom. New engine mount with 4 axis adjustment. (north-south & east-west)
    4) I have all new toggle switches. I will reuse the key switch & voltage meter.

Things I still to get are.
    1) Wire, wire loom, and assorted connectors.
    2) New 3 LED head lights, 2 LED tail lights, engine compartment fan, and a high output bilge pump.
    3) 6 25" AT-189 tires and rims.
    4) New fuel line and fuel filter.
    5) Need to order a new muffler and exhaust wrap.

I'm sure there is more out there I need to get. I'm hoping to get it back together quickly. I have to, I will be using up all the space in our carport. Wife will have to park in driveway until its done. I'll post pics as I go. I just about have all the stuff to begin the breakdown.
    Last edited by Dan67; 01-07-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Just got finished assembling my engine hoist. What a pain in the butt, half the bolts where missing. But after a trip to Lowe's I'm all set to start the take down. I'll be taking tons of pics of my progress, mainly so I know how everything is supposed to go back together. I have 6 of the Lowe's buckets to keep stuff sorted correctly. Chains, bearings, flanges, etc for each axle together with buckets labeled. Part of the cost to use the full carport is washing the wife's care car on a regular basis.

Good luck keep us posted and lots of pictures along the way.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Good luck on your rebuild Dan.

Got home today with the new tubs..

I don't think it is a 950 tub, its bigger..

Looks like I'll need to cut the lip of the lower tub because it does not have one.

Looks like I am doing a 980 regular tub build. I'll start taking the old 950 apart later this evening when it cools down some and early tomorrow morning. I have tons more pics of the tubs loaded on the Gallery.

I wanted to add more pics of the NOS body set.
    Last edited by Dan67; 07-07-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Dan, it looks like you've got a Hustler 980 BIGFOOT tub! Now you can EASILY fit those 25" Argo tires, or any other big tire that you desire up to 27" with this tub. Welcome to the 980 BIGFOOT club, you're going to love it here! I'll be watching this build for sure!!!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Nice Dan....now get busy...lots of work to Do and good luck!

Im super jealous I want a NOS 980 Tub
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Breaking down the old body.

After a fun filled morning with stuff to do I was able to start the dismantling at 2pm. Been a fun filled exciting time taking my time and photo documenting everything I did as I went. I have the top off now and a large pile of bolts, nuts, washers, and other parts I need to thoroughly clean in the parts washer.

Tomorrow, I plan to finish and get the engine, T20, and frame removed along with all the chains, sprocket tubes, and bearings. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Dan67; 07-07-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Onto the lower tub

Got another late start on it yesterday and I had to stop off early to take the wife out for her birthday with all her side of the family. But I did manage to get out the engine, T20, and alot of other stuff. I was unable to get to the axles until this morning.

I got right on the axles and I'd like to say thanks to Mike for the video he posted "changing max2 bearing and axle". I watched the video 3 times over then went out and started taking them apart. All 6 of the inner locking collars came off pretty easy and only 4 of the outer collars. 2 are stuck hard but I was still able to get out the other 5 axles with out much problems. The left-middle is being rather uncooperative. That axle is stuck in the inner bearing and will not pull out. I pulled on it as hard as I can without bending the inner frame rail. The outer bearing on the axle is shot.

Does anybody have any ideas here? I had thought about getting out my dremil tool and cutting the body out around it so I can get the frame out. But I'd still need to get the axle out. I'm so close to getting the frame out and I want to get it all to the metal fabricator on Monday.

+ Reply to Thread