Outdoor hardship story

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor hardship story

Outdoor hardship story

Me and my buddy who helped me recover the Hustler several months ago went hunting on the Texas coast last weekend. There was another guy with us who knew of a place where "you can drive right up to the blind"...famous last words.

So we meet at Bass Pro Shops at 2:45am, all pile into my buddy's 4x4 powerstroke and head off. We reach the coast, turn North onto the beach and drive 11.5 miles down soft sand to the turn-off for the blind. We finally find the blind about 1.5 miles off the beach and promptly get stuck in wet, mucky sand. It is 6:30am. We stopped as soon as we knew we were stuck and came up with a game plan. If we did not get the truck out we were in for a long walk and possibly having an enormous tow truck bill. So we started scrounging plywood, driftwood, grass, etc....I broke off a piece of plywood to use as a digging implement, and then we did the nasty. We dug out all of the sand under the suspension and differentials and jacked up each wheel and placed wood and grass underneath. The truck came out beautifully....we shook hands, cheered and hugged in a heterosexual manner. Kinda like when the plane took off in Flight of the Phoenix. It was now 12:30PM.

The guy who had showed us this blind has a kitchen pass with a very short time stamp and was acting like he wanted to go home. It was time for the John Belushi "Animal House" speech...I basically said "Hey...we've already done the hard part, the evening hunt starts in a few hours, I will have no self respect if we don't finish what we started." Plus we had seen literally hundreds, maybe a thousand ducks while digging the truck out.

My speech worked, so we set all of the left over food and fluid on the tailgate and divided it up. I gave my dog my ration of water, and half my breakfast on a bun. We ended up having an awesome hunt. Got home at 9:30, content, exhausted and dehydrated.

Point of this story is we had no ATV, and the Hustler's pulling power would have saved us. This coming Saturday we are taking the Hustler. Once we arrive at the beach I will put the trailer on back of the Hustler, follow the truck, and once we reach the point where you turn off of the beach, everybody is going to pile in to the trailer on the Hustler. So I will feel cool utilizing the Hustler as my workhorse. I will take video if anyone is interested..

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    ....we shook hands, cheered and hugged in a heterosexual manner. Kinda like when the plane took off in Flight of the Phoenix...

I love the description of your victory celebration. Being stuck in the sand sucks but I guess it's better to dig yourself out of sand than mud. Well, maybe not better but at least cleaner. Good story.

got to love it . he might could have drove right to the blind in a toy 4x4 or similer . but a heavy desel will not .. to munch weight and most of it on the front end . but at least you got to hunt and bagged some ducks .
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Great story bon, feel the pain. I have an F-250 Diesel...it's a heavy truck. I have sunk it in places my old Lancruiser went through with no problems.
    As a fellow duck hunter, I wish I could have witnessed the Animal House speech; way to rally the troops! It's hunting, not supposed to be all roses and flannel sheets...
    I was at a Duck hunt last weekend at Reelfoot Lake in Western Tennessee. Our guide used a new prototype 6-wheeler called a Hoot to pull a trailer full of hunters and gear out to the blind. The machine did ok, but seemed a little underpowered. This weekend I am heading back for the last hunt of the season, but I will have the hustler. Hope to give a hand pulling folks through the flooded fields.
    Good luck on the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Meinfield View Post
    Great story bon, feel the pain. I have an F-250 Diesel...it's a heavy truck. I have sunk it in places my old Lancruiser went through with no problems.
    As a fellow duck hunter, I wish I could have witnessed the Animal House speech; way to rally the troops! It's hunting, not supposed to be all roses and flannel sheets...
    I was at a Duck hunt last weekend at Reelfoot Lake in Western Tennessee. Our guide used a new prototype 6-wheeler called a Hoot to pull a trailer full of hunters and gear out to the blind. The machine did ok, but seemed a little underpowered. This weekend I am heading back for the last hunt of the season, but I will have the hustler. Hope to give a hand pulling folks through the flooded fields.
    Good luck on the hunt!
    yep i have a dodge 2500 ctd 4x4 qc so i know how you feel .
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Agreed sand is more forgiving than mud....it just cakes on your clothes and makes you miserable...

Hey Mein, I shot a beautiful Redhead that I'm going to mount...

Now that's duck hunting!

You'r buddy need's a shovel& axe in the truck at a minimum!
    I carry a folding shovel & short handle axe in the jeep, and I can't tell ya how many times they have saved me!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

Bon,
    Congrats on the red head, they are beautiful. Snap some video of the hustler in action if you get a chance.

How about some more feedback on the HOOT ???

Feedback on the hoot

How about some more feedback on the HOOT ???[/quote][SIZE="liflop- I was going to buy a Hoot and drove to S.C. to the nearest dealer fully intending to bring one home. I was impressed by the hoot's drive system of belts but when I drove it I found it to be underpowered (The 15 horse Kolher in a 600 pound machine made it feel underpowered-I think that I am already spoiled by my 27 horse kawasaki!!). I was also not happy with very limited ground clearance, it reminded me of a low slung quad with six wheel drive. Another negitive was there was only room for one person. The skid steering was also to sensitive for me but I am sure I would have gotten use to it!The machine has a lot of things to like but I just felt that it wouldn't meet my needs. I am sure that a good driver with a little experince could make this machine go almost anywhere, but for me it just didn't work. I wanted a second vehicle that could follow my Max into the swamps (and my quad just won't do the job). I would probably rather put my money into a base Argo Frontier or a Max II. The Hoot people are talking about a two seater soon and a vehicle with more power. Their drive system is tops! True six wheel drive with just about no maintenace,so they will be a company to watch!
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 01-18-2008 at 03:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread