Getting my second Argo today!!!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting my second Argo today!!!!

Talking Getting my second Argo today!!!!

Hey everyone!

I'm getting my second Argo today!

It's an early 1970s 6x6, in pretty darn good shape, it just needs an engine... which isn't a problem, I have lots of engines!!!

I'm planning on mounting my Rotax 640cc twin in it, I already have the mounts configured on my other Argos mount, so when I get it, I can just drop in the 640... can't wait!!!

Here are some pics:
    DSCF3475_0961.jpgDSCF3476_0962.jpgDSCF3474_0960.jpgDSCF3478_0964.jpgDSCF3477_0963.jpg

I traded a 1980s Alpine body and a 2001 Yamaha dirtbike for it!

I'll keep ya all updated!!!

Nice deal, congrats on your new machine and post a video after you drop that powerplant in!
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks!

Yeah, okay I will, I'm sure it won't lack any power!!!

Just having some trouble aligning the clutches, I'm sure I'll get it though.

I'm thinking of putting my 6 brandnew 22-11-8 Rawhide IIIs on it... wonder if they'll fit!?

It's about time.

22's should fit fine, and look darn-good on that machine. Congrats....

UPDATE

Okay so I just got it at my house 30 minutes ago...

So here's what I've found out so far...;

1. I'm MORE than sure this Argo is a "Argo Super Sport Six" because on the firewall it has a stamp that says "SS 409 (I wonder if 409 is referring to the displacment of the engine or the production number?)" and I know the old SS Argos had 400 Kohlers in them, plus I looked at an OLD poster of an Argo SS, and it looks exactally like mine.

( If it is a SS (which I'm 90% sure it is) I think they may have a higher gear ratio in "high gear" so it's really going to fly with my 640cc Rotax in it!!! )

2. The previous owners were... ummm... how should I put this... family oriented site... right... um, oh, LESS THAN AATV SAVY.

I don't know how, or why, but 2 of the 6 tires are different sizes than the rest!!! It has 4 20-11-8 runamuks, and 2 22-10-8 runamuks on it... how do people not notice these kinds of things!!!???

The second reason the previous owners were “LESS THAN AATV SAVY”, I hate steel overhead racks… this one weighed over 200LBS… so guess what my fenders look like??

010.jpg009.jpg002.jpg001.jpg016 (2).jpg

Tried again in the morning and was able to upload the photos I wanted.

P.S. If you look at the front shot, you can see to the left, the 22-10-8 Runamuk, and the 20-11-8 to the right.
    Last edited by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker; 06-09-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Hahaha, thanks HydroMike, yeah, once I bend the fenders back up () I'm sure my Rawhide IIIs will fit...

Also, here's a flyer of the Argo SS, I found on this site... see a resemblance?

argo-super-sport-six-6x6-atv.jpg

CORRECTION
    No more "thinking" this is an Argo SS... it IS an Argo SS, it has SS stamped right on the tranny, in the flyer it says "heat gages and tach standard", I have all three of those gages, and I can see where the factory installed lights were, plus I can see the clips that held the rear comparment cover on!!!

I wasn't actually planning on re-building this one like my Argo 8x8 (new bearings, chains, etc.), it's really costly, and I don't have that much cash, but now, I'm starting to think it may be worth it, what do you think???!!!

Are these Argo SSs rare?
    Last edited by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker; 06-09-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Hey Hydromike your welcome to chime in anytime here... you seem to know A LOT about old AATVs!

Argos' first attempt at an Automatic Chain Adjuster?

This "high performance " Argo SS has the (I think) the first attempt at Automatic Chain adjusters in an Argo AATV, it only has them on the center chains, but they push from both the top and bottom... there not custom made, because they have Argo stamped on them, but they arn't the best idea, they work good, BUT the arms that that hold the bolt that goes through the plastic puck are cast (I think) so over the years, with all the tension on them, the cast (or it might be white metal, not sure?) has become brittle, so the retaining loops that the bolts go through eventually just snap off of the arm... no way of reparing that, I'm thinking or custom making the arms out of steel...?
    Here's one of the two chin adjusters, this ones still functional:

014 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker View Post
    Hey Hydromike your welcome to chime in anytime here... you seem to know A LOT about old AATVs!
    I can only chime in on the stuff I've worked on, and really generic stuff. I honestly know very, VERY little about Argos as a whole. I can lend my opinions pretty freely, though, and I think it would be a great project to get this one put back together and back into service.

As an aside, while I was out picking up another project yesterday, I got into a discussion with the owner about how readily people tend to "customize", and "repair" machines of this sort. Plastic is very easily molested, and the importance of maintaining and repairing the driveline is critically misunderstood more often than not. I just picked up two 1969 Attex machines, and one was horribly "customized", and the other was basically untouched. Despite their best intentions, people will try to fix things the wrong way, and throw add-ons at a machine in a pretty predictable way. Fog lights, camo, in-dash stereos, and some sort of "buggy", or "army" reference painted on top of the camo are pretty common themes around here. Eh; to each, their own. They're all having fun, and that's most important.

Yeah, I agree with that, the old Amphicat I had was "customized"... rack = bent fenders, fog lights and tail lights with turning signals = complete wiring mess, over sized, hard pack tires = 3 bent axels, red paint job = all paint chipping off, reparing broking ABS plastic with fibreglass = CRACKS everywhere, custom aluminum skid plate = plate would bend up if you hit something hard, and it would break the ABS is was supposed to be protecting... and I can go on and on, I just find there are only a selected a few people out there (everyone on this site? ) that actually use these machines for there intended purpose, take care of them, and don't abuse them... well it's fine to "abuse" something you take care of... but almost every project I've got has been "abused" and never taken care of.

+ Reply to Thread