amphib cargo trailer questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: amphib cargo trailer questions

amphib cargo trailer questions

The factory model looks like a Frontier body with two axles instead of 3. There must be more to it than that for the listed price?

Has anyone used non-factory amphibious trailers in the water with thier Argo? I would think at the hefty ODG pricetag; there would be several second-party manufacturers to choose from. Help a newbie out if you know.

I was considering making my own using the body from another older (non Argo) 6 wheeler. Anyone have experience with home building an amphibious trailer for thier amphib?
    Last edited by salamander; 01-17-2008 at 12:26 PM.

Hey Salamander, I would stear clear of the factory trailer. Everyone that I know has had nothing but trouble with them, unless they are heavily modified.
    I guess that you could say that I'm a little biassed in this becouse I build trailers, BUT, the reason I got into building them is that there are not many good alternatives out there. I don't do it as a buisness, just a hobby. Interesting point, The last 5 trailers that I sold, all went to guys that used to run the Factory type Argo trailer.
    The one you are looking at can be made to work reasonably well, but not what I would call great.

There are a few options out there, and I think that the best one for the back yard handyman is probably to just buy a pre-formed plastic tub, and build your own running gear.

Here is an example of one style that I build. I don't have a better pic right now. This one is for a quad. I like the tandem axle design, with the "walking beam" type suspension (very smooth ride). I like to raise the tongue at the front of the trailer, then drop it back down to the hitch (harder to hang it up on stumps,rocks, ect). I also prefer to build the tub out of Aluminium, it's easy to modify and fix if required.

These guys build something similar, and have some pics that you could check out. Of course a trailer built for behind an Argo will be wider than these model.
    Tubs - Marathon Marine - Aluminum Welded Boats, Tubs, Decks and ATV Trailers - Quintrex Boats - Duraboat

One last thing, It has been my experience that swimming an AATV with a trailer in tow is ALWAYS a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    micmac, the HD1500 is the biggest trailer Polar makes and it's the one you refer to. I am not impressed with it. I have looked at them several times and decided that it's not for me to pull behind when floating or even off-roading with the Max. They are not built that rugged. It's only 18" deep. Even though they are supposed to be watertight I would not feel comfortable trying to float with something that shallow. The mfg says it will float if it is empty or lightly loaded. What does that tell you?

They are real popular around here to pull behind on the ice for hard water fishing but almost anything pulls well on the ice.

Max 6 Wheel Drive

ATV Trailer Search

Went to Google and entered "ATV Trailers" and on the option "Image", found over 20 pages of photos. I loaded some here, goofed-up and some came thru more than onceSorry!! Anyway, hope my effors help out those of you looking for trailer options!!!!
    Last edited by artist1018; 01-18-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: mis-spelling

ATV Trailer Search

Went to Google and entered "ATV Trailers" and on the option "Image", found over 20 pages of photos. I loaded some here, goofed-up and some came thru more than onceSorry!! Anyway, hope my efforts help out those of you looking for trailer options!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    ...There are a few options out there, and I think that the best one for the back yard handyman is probably to just buy a pre-formed plastic tub, and build your own running gear...One last thing, It has been my experience that swimming an AATV with a trailer in tow is ALWAYS a bad idea
    Thanks as always for the advice. Considering all options at this point; definately want an Argo/trailer setup that can swim with reasonable sized loads of firewood or construction materials... Please expand on the last point you made there... Nice pic of your watertight trailer doubling as a pool for the little ones!

I use a ridding lawnmower trailer

When I head back up north I will get some pictures (if I can get the snow and ice off)
    Of the trailer I use. I got it super cheap I think around $150. It holds out water and is one big plastic scoop shape .The wheels are skinny but work fine. In the spring I can show it in the water. It is really strong I also use it to add sand to my beach.
    It also doubles as a large wheel barrow with a dump feature.

I was wondering on that Argo style one you talk about if it is ok to transport people in it.

I was thinking of getting a new 6x6 but would like to be able to fit more people in it from time to time. Would a trailer be ok for extra passengers? Or should I stick to the 8x8?
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 01-29-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

argo trailer on ebay now...

---JIM---
    I reject your reality and substitute my own...
    (Mythbusters Fan )

wish i was in Ohio the tires alone would be werth it.

+ Reply to Thread