amphib cargo trailer questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: amphib cargo trailer questions

salamander ;
    Please expand on the last point you made there...
    Just a couple things that I have had trouble with
    Argo's ride nose low in the water, and that makes the trailer ride nose high which seems to make it a little more "tippy" (If you load up so that everything runs level, then they don't swim as well)
    Trailers seem to make steering harder when swimming (they kinda make the Argo go straight, when you want it to turn)
    If there is any current to the water, the trailer will "jacknife", and pull the Argo around. (Very hard to get to shore when the trailer keeps the Argo pointed upstream)

Don't get me wrong, it can be done and I still do it if I have to, but I never have a good feeling when swimming with the trailer.

Robio_8x8 ;
    I was wondering on that Argo style one you talk about if it is ok to transport people in it.
    You can, but it's not very comfortable. The ones with tandem axles and "walking beam" type suspensions work well. The last one I built has a "Flex Ride" center axle, with walking beams mounted to it. This is VERY smooth riding, and comfortable to travel in (just make sure that the machine doing the pulling has mudflaps lol)

I bet this would make a big splash in the water

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    You can, but it's not very comfortable. The ones with tandem axles and "walking beam" type suspensions work well. The last one I built has a "Flex Ride" center axle, with walking beams mounted to it. This is VERY smooth riding, and comfortable to travel in (just make sure that the machine doing the pulling has mudflaps lol)
    I found out the importance of a mud flap when riding behind a snowmobile that did not have one. I was far behind too.

I would not do this but image the trailer in water with people in it LOL
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

There is an Argo amphib trailer on e-bay now,less than 20 miles from me.

argo trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Hey Salamander, I would stear clear of the factory trailer. Everyone that I know has had nothing but trouble with them, unless they are heavily modified.
    I guess that you could say that I'm a little biassed in this becouse I build trailers, BUT, the reason I got into building them is that there are not many good alternatives out there. I don't do it as a buisness, just a hobby. Interesting point, The last 5 trailers that I sold, all went to guys that used to run the Factory type Argo trailer.
    The one you are looking at can be made to work reasonably well, but not what I would call great.

There are a few options out there, and I think that the best one for the back yard handyman is probably to just buy a pre-formed plastic tub, and build your own running gear.

Here is an example of one style that I build. I don't have a better pic right now. This one is for a quad. I like the tandem axle design, with the "walking beam" type suspension (very smooth ride). I like to raise the tongue at the front of the trailer, then drop it back down to the hitch (harder to hang it up on stumps,rocks, ect). I also prefer to build the tub out of Aluminium, it's easy to modify and fix if required.

These guys build something similar, and have some pics that you could check out. Of course a trailer built for behind an Argo will be wider than these model.
    Tubs - Marathon Marine - Aluminum Welded Boats, Tubs, Decks and ATV Trailers - Quintrex Boats - Duraboat

One last thing, It has been my experience that swimming an AATV with a trailer in tow is ALWAYS a bad idea
    I WAS WONDERING WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE ARGO TRAILERS.I HAVE ONE AND THE ONLY THING I DONE WITH MINE WAS WELDED THE TOW BAR TO THE BODY BRACKET ABOVE THE TOW BAR TO KEEP IT STRAIGHT.AND I AM IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING A PIECE OF TWO INCH ANGLE AROUND THE PERIMITER TO STRENGHTEN IT UP A BIT.

I WAS WONDERING WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE ARGO TRAILERS.
    Mostly little things, but they seem to add up.

Argo Factory hitch design really sucks. I like to raise the trailer toungue at the trailer, and then bring it back down to the Argo. Keeps you from getting hung up when crossing big trees, Rocks, and when dropping over sharp banks.
    The tub sticking out so far in front and behind the tires, coupled with the very low clearance, causes them to hang you up in rough terrain, and muskeg holes.
    Plastic is harder to modify and/or repaire if required.
    If they are being used alot for hauling sand/dirt/firewood it's hard to keep the crap from getting under the floorboards and into the bearings.
    They can be very rough riding in uneven terrain. A little suspension makes a pretty incredible difference.
    They are heavy
    Plastic fenders need reinforcment, as they will sag down if any load is placed on them (As you mentioned)

Any and all of these things can be fixed, and I would imagine that for the average guy these things would not be too much of an issue. Myself, (and others around here) have found that alternate designs work better for us, in the terrain that we operate in.
    I just had a guy ask me to modify his Argo Trailer (couple days ago). I think what I will do is keep the Tub, Rims and tires. Build a set of running gear, with a raised hitch, and mount the tub to it. Seal the old axle holes. It should double or tripple his clearance, add suspension, and walking beams. (He is toying with the idea of having me make it a "Gooseneck" type hitch.......I'm not sure if this would be a good idea, nobody else would be able to pull it if needed)
    I'm looking forward to trying it out

argo trailer

Thanks For The Input On This Subject.i Am Looking Foward To Seeing The Trailer You Are Going To Make.what Do You Think Of The Trailers On The All Seasons Argo Web Site?

Go to Landtamer.com and check out the trailer they offer, it floats, has 6 wheels & can carry several passengers or cargo!

The Landtamer machines are really big. they seem to be more for comercial use than a little play. not to mention the 20,000 price tag on the used machine. Don't get me wrong if I had the money for a toy like that I would have one. Very cool.

Hi ya'all
    I had been thinking of making a "convertible" trailer to use for both our seasons: Winter and not winter...
    The Argo and other trailers I could find at different outdoors or ATV stores were very pricy. I started thinking about a sled that I could convert. Finding mainly narrow, shallow snow mobile sleds, I was about to design my own in fiberglass or aluminum. Then, yesterday, on my way to Northern Quebec, I saw a few by an outdoors store.
    I bought a medium sled because I need to manuver through some single track trails and if it were too long, I could not make all the turns. This will hold a couple fo cords of wood, or a moose or a huge deer or a combination of stuff.
    I'm thinking of installing wear strips like the ones we put on our airplane skis and for the other season, blocks to receive axle(s) and wheels for when the tracks come off.
    These guys make all kinds of trailers and sleds with all kinds of accessories and options.
    See: Team Otter Outdoors! Manufacturer of the Otter Fish House & Otter Sled!
    Happy trails,
    JD

+ Reply to Thread