So I am thinking about building a racer...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So I am thinking about building a racer...

So I am thinking about building a racer...

To begin, I am a huge fan of any sort of racing, such as NASCAR, NHRA, F1, Indycar etc. Since I am a huge fan of 6x6's, attex in particular, I decided to combine the best of both worlds and build a racer. I am currently restoring a first gen ST/300/D and know of an ST/400/R for sale locally, but they guy will not budge from $800, even though the machine is in pieces and is really maybe worth $300 or so at most given the condition of everything

Anyways, I was wondering if there were any tips those of you that have built/raced 6x6 racers can give me in starting a racer build (should I be able to get this 400/r cheaper)? Tips such as cage design or other things specific to a racing 6x6. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Martin

Man have you come to the right place....there are tons of pics and tech info here...get your note pad and pencil handy....have you checked out the ashtabula vids?

I believe the ST400R has a T-20. I'm pretty sure the ST300D does not. Finding parts for the 400R might be easier.

We traditionally race in May or June in Ohio but I've heard rumors there may be something going on in the south before then.
    Banned

Attex produced two versions of the ST400R. The most common used a 6000 Baker/Hill transmission and the later one a T20. If it's the later model, it's worth restoring- not a common machine at all. If you look through the pics on the ATV racing section of the gallery, you can get all kinds of ideas for the cage, drive train, body, or whatever. Good Luck!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Glad to hear that your interested in the racing aspect of the sport. Like Don said look at the Ash videos and get a idea of machines and designs. A must is 4 or 5 point harness and if you know any drag racers you can pick one of these up as they change them out on a regular schedule. Cage design, i recommend the round hoop type so if you do roll over.....getting back on your wheels is easier....watch the videos on this one(at least 3 points for cage) someone correct me if i am wrong. I am also new to the racing end of this sport but love it. The old hands at this are Whipper, Jersey Bigfoot(Mark) and Don. I am sure there are others out there. Power plant...run what you bring, we don't care.. if it fits put in in! So you imagination....let it rip!!!!! Hope to see you on the track

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Attex produced two versions of the ST400R. The most common used a 6000 Baker/Hill transmission and the later one a T20. If it's the later model, it's worth restoring- not a common machine at all. If you look through the pics on the ATV racing section of the gallery, you can get all kinds of ideas for the cage, drive train, body, or whatever. Good Luck!
    Don, this Attex that has been on Craigslist is the one with the Baker Hill in it.

As far as racers go, I did two of them, a first generation ST/300D and a '74 Superchief. The later model Attexes hold up MUCH better from the punishment that we dish out on the race track compared to the first generation models. Trust me, I've raced, jumped, and rolled both and the first generation model didn't hold up nearly as well as the Thunderchief did.........I actually got third place in my class it, but my first generation racer from the year before did not finish because it got too damaged.

For an engine get a big twin, like a 440 Cuyuna or 484 G50B Chapparal. Couple that with a nice cage, a low sitting bucket seat with 5 point harness, a good set of wheels and tires, and a T-20 and you'll be good to go!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for all the info guys! As soon as I finish the restoration on my 300/D I am going to be looking for a racer to build, I cant wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck89 View Post
    I ... <snip> ....know of an ST/400/R for sale locally, but they guy will not budge from $800, even though the machine is in pieces and is really maybe worth $300 or so at most given the condition of everything
    <snip>
    (should I be able to get this 400/r cheaper)?
    Hey Martin,

I talked with Aaron, the fella who owns the 400/R in Gasport a few months ago. I stopped by just to chat with him to see what the story with the machine was. He's put a lot of time and money into getting parts for the machine. The body on that machine is really in rough shape. There are considerable metal/fiberglass patches, and holes where there should be none. The upper and lower body have quite a bit of paint on them, too. I think the biggest saving grace for the machine is that the frame is in decent shape, and the engine and transmission are there and in serviceable condition. I think he'd be hard-pressed to get what he's asking for it, but I understand the situation he's in. If I remember right, he purchased the transmission (a 7000 series Baker Hill) from California, and payed upwards of $400 or $500 for it alone.

If you want to stick to a first generation body, the frame can be stiffened up a bit, an you can upgrade components to take just about any abuse. Second/third generation bodies are out there, too; a lot of creeps just tend to snatch them up and hoard them. There is a LOT of work that you can do do a shell of a machine while you acquire parts. For instance, if you decide you want to run a T-20 machine, you can spend a good part of the winter months getting a frame in order, cleaning up a body, finding an engine, building it up, stiffening the frame, building a cage, finding a seat, harness, etc.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. We all love whatching other people build stuff....

Hey Mike,

Yeah I totally understand the situation that guy was in too. Unfortunately, anything I have every bought and resold I always end up losing money too, which I think he is afraid of doing, but thats the risk you run when you tear down a machine without rebuilding it, although it is not always possible for everyone to do so for whatever reason. The extra parts and the engine/tranny are worth a great deal more than the body based upon the 2 seconds that I looked at them the one evening that I stopped, but if I recall, I could have sworn that he had the 5000 series tranny, which is what all of his craigslist posts have said. Also, if my memory serves me right, he told me that he had torn the tranny apart, cleaned and rebuilt it himself. I never once heard anything about a 7000 series from California and paying $500 for it (not sure if he was telling stories to either you or me, or if my memory is bad lol). Either way, I think I am going to just look for another machine, either an early one or later if I can find one. I will defiantly keep everyone posted on my progress, as I am also one that loves to look at everyone's builds too!!

-Martin

+ Reply to Thread