A Scrambler?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Scrambler?

Question A Scrambler?

I'd really love to get a scrambler!

Problem is, I can't find one where I live (Canada for starts has argos... and that's about it lol)

But I think I may have found one?

scrambler_right_front.jpg3364jm4_20.jpg

There's a photo of a members Scrambler (Awesome looking!!) and the one that's forsale.

Is it a scrambler?

If so, I want to buy this machine, I find them very nice looking machines, I'm just wondering how they were built?

I have an Argo 8x8 I use in the swamp, it's a 1975(?) model, and it's built very good, but how were these "Scramblers" built, I do not intend to pound it like my Argo... but just want to know, if I DO decide to take it out for a good swamp run, if it's going to hold up?

I appreciate the help!

P.S. His asking price is 850$, does this seem reasonable?

remember that you cant easily replace those tires, you have to buy rims and tires too if they wont hold air... just a thought. but looks cool!

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker View Post
    Is it a scrambler?
    Yyyyyup.

Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Argo 8x8 2-Stroker View Post
    <snip>..... but just want to know, if I DO decide to take it out for a good swamp run, if it's going to hold up?
    Scramblers have quite a different steering setup compared with an Argo or T-20 machine. Some folks have had difficulty getting them set up correctly, but they work well once you get it worked out. It's not the industrial machine that an Argo is, but the fiberglass hull isn't really a weak point, either. I think you'll most certainly be looking at #40 drive chain all the way around. I've never owned one myself, so I can't relate direct experience.

Of course, you can do anything with the body you want to. Remember, Jersey Bigfoot's Blackbird started life as a Scrambler.

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    remember that you cant easily replace those tires, you have to buy rims and tires too if they wont hold air... just a thought. but looks cool!
    Yeah jadon, good point, but I've got a bunch of Argo rims that fit that style hub, but as far as I know, all the tires hold air, that'd be my first time with origional flotation tires, man I'd be curious to see how they perform!

Well hydromike, I like the idea of a fibreglass body, (for one reason you can paint them lol) but at least if they do break, UNLIKE an Argo, you can fix them without having to own a plastic welder... I've heard the steereing set-up was a bit of a pain, but I'm sure with a lot of tinkering, you could get it right.

Do you know if the axels are .75 or 1 inch?

Thanks

P.S. I'm sure flippy could add some good info here too...

Might just be the proud owner of a Scrambler!!!

YES!!!

Convinced my dad to take me down the 2 hour long trip tommorow too see the Scrambler... if it's in good condition, I'll make the guy an offer and if he accepts I'll be the proud owner of a scrambler... can't wait!

P.S. If I get it, it's going to go from looking like this: 3364jm4_20.jpg

To looking like this (I love this paint scheme!):scrambler_right_front.jpg

Axles are 1 3/16". the original size axle bearings were special 30 mm pieces opened to 1 3/16" There are some AG bearings with lock collars that will work.

These machines do not have reverse.

Wow, 1 3/16!

That's bigger than my Argo!!

No axel bending with those!

How do they perform with the tires spaced soooo far apart? Does that pose any problems when crossing logs?

Thanks

Also, what kind of sprocket set up does it have? If I were to bend or snap an axel, how easy is it to get a new one machined, my Argo just uses a standard 1" stock, with 4 holes drilled in it, and a notch at the end of it. The sprocet is just welded to a hub that slides over the axel, and is held on by roll pins. Also, are the inner bearings and outer bearings the same size? That's how it is in my argo.

Thanks

I wouldnt worry about bearings till you need them.I got my 1960 something scrambler as a complete basket case with debris and snow and the tub was filled solid with ice.I had to just about wait till spring to get all the crap out of the thing.I greased the bearings-cleaned all the sprockets with diesel fuel and a wire brush-just sprayed oil liberally around the inner sprockets hoping some would get in.I made sure all the bearings turned easily with no slop or friction spots.I bought all new chain and rebuilt the whole transmission.It now has a 16hp flat twin briggs.Reverse would be nice and I need to add more clutch material one day .One disk has a couple original pieces missing and the other disk I just relined the outer disk with new clutch materiel.The bearings that are important are the ones that make up the transmission.I put #40 chain on my scrambler.I have not broken anything axle or bearing related but I spent a good couple months doing a complete R+R on the transmission-there are some great people on this site that have excellent pics and can explain things really well.I now have 4 new carlisle at101 tires and I have all the steering adjustments dialed in perfect and I am very pleased with the scrambler.All the bearings I got for the transmission were cheapies from the big bearing store but they seem to be holding up fine.If you can find a scrambler that runs and steers and brakes good then you will be miles ahead in my opinion.It seems that all the scramblers I see for sale are destroyed .-I have an ATTEX also but The scrambler body is very thick-I ran into some trees full throttle and no cracks-It seems to be almost a 1/2" thick just like an old fiberglass boat but without the wood stringers .

Hey flippy,

I was kinda waiting for you to chime in!

Well, if you can overlook the visual apperaence of the machine, it is in very sound mechanical shape.

From what I can see, the sporockets are mint, the bearings are perfect, the tires all hold air, and the chains are great, not sure bout' the tranny, I've never seen an abortionate set-up like that, he said it maintains all steering after driving it for hours though, just something about bleeding the hydrolic lines every so often?

He put a single-cylinder 12hp Briggs in it, so that's a bonus.

Supposedly, the bodys are "mint", but just from the one photo from the ad, there apprears to be some cracks and the top and bottom tubs are seperated... he says it floats, but...? 3364jm4_20.jpg

Either way, the bodies fibreglass, so it's easy to repair, I'm just wondering what happenes when you break something? I can still get parts for my old Argo, and worse case scenario, I could get parts made, but this sscrambler has some big sprockets, and weird designs... I'd hate for example to take one of the sprockets to a machine shop and have to get one made... but I guess thats the "risk" taken when dealing with antiquated machines.

Also, how does it perform with the tires spaced sooo far apart? It has 20-12-(3" hub? lol) origional flotation tires on it, but I plan on switching them out with 6 22-10-8 Goodyear Runamuks, at least then there won't be a huge gap between the tires.

+ Reply to Thread