Baker Hill Vs T-20

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baker Hill Vs T-20

Baker Hill Vs T-20

What are the advantages/ disadvantages between the Baker Hill style trans and the T-20 in the Attex?

I only drove one Baker Hill machine and that was Joe's 208tt. It was different, but I didn't have enough stick time to get an opinion.

Lance, my 297 Attex had a Baker Hill 5000. It seemed to drive like a T-20 but it would really turn hard with less movement of the laterals. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was just a little more touchy, probably because it has those calipers with the disc brakes and little brake pucks compared to bands on a drum surround by automatic transmission fluid in a T-20. I was lucky enough to drive Don's legendary Attex McKay racer (with a Baker Hill) just minutes after I drove another Legend, Hydromike's Attex 503/R and the difference in transmissions wasn't all that noticeable. I have a straight shaft Baker Hill in my 1st generation Attex racer, and it will be completed for the summer (I hope) so I will let you know more then. Maybe Don and Hydromike can give you some more detailed responses on your question.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The big disadvantage with the Baker Hill is that the planetaries do not run in oil like the T20. If the gears get hot (and they do) it melts the grease out of them. Ask me how I know. This may not be occur on a cold winter day but take it up and down some steep hills like Copper Ridge in the hot summer time and that usually does it.

Hey Mark, I was afraid of this happening, so when I rebuilt my Baker Hill transmission for my 1st generation Attex racer I packed all of the planetaries with Valvoline high temperature synthetic grease. Do you think this might prevent the grease from getting too hot and running out?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Only experience trying it will tell. It's got to be be better than ordinary grease.

+ Reply to Thread