Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

Nothing to major along the lines of upgrades guys/gals....just my neato sticker i made at work, and a quick glance at my oil pressure guage i installed. I've been driving the attex on a nightly basis. Scouting the swamp for deer (which ive seen a bunch of doe so that is a plus) The poor plastic bottom body is taking a beating..lol Some of the cracks i repaired need repaired again, and im aquiring new gash's and Gouges each day. lol Dam...i wish my HDPE skid would have worked out. haha. I did talk to the neighbor, we're gonna get a sheet of aluminum rounded up and he's going to TIG weld me a skid plate for it. He's a pro at welding with tig and doing so on alluminum, so i have no worries on his part. I figure i'll attatch it via the axle bearing mounts. but i doubt this will all happen till later this winter when him and I both have little to do. Not to mention, once he finish's up machining and making some of the gun's he working on right now.

One future mod to look forward to is the my backup light that ive just about got finished. I Installed a "trigger" switch from a NOS setup my buddy once had. I simply bolted it to one of the mounting holes on the trans, and bent the bracket till it made contact with the heim joint when trans is in reverse. This will then kick on a backup light, allowing me to see just exactly WTF im about to back into/over. Very neato eh? lol No switch or nuttin, just stick it into "R" and tadah..Let there be light mah friendz!

As for my "rack thread" its on time out right now...dad took my welder bottle, drained it during work he was doing, got it refilled, and then never brought it back yet. i just spoke with him on the phone, and he plans on coming out saturday to do some work in my garage for a friend of his so then my rack thing can once again get started!

Thats about it folks!

-WagZ-

1102111805.jpg
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

attex is running good and doing everything i wanted it too. Rack is about done, all i need to do is get either a piece of wood for on the rack, or expanded metal..havent decided..nor do i really got a way to haul it once i do decide. lol ..but..on another note..as i drive it more and more, i keep damaging the botom of the tub..ive parked it, goo'ed it up, let it dry for days while applying small amounts of acetone as the body repair thread states. however, i still cannot seem to prevent breakage. As for my HDPE body skid, that failed misserably...and im close to just making a metal one for it...i was JUST out there laying on the ground looking at it and thinking about it..it seems like it should be feasable...however, a good deal of patience and thought will be involved no doubt. I guess only time will tell...things are kinda shaky here at home too...must be winter depression setting in for all of us..

Ill keep yinz up to date on what i decide to do.

-WagZ-

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

Well..hunting season is here...time in the woods is limited unless its either on a sunday, or its Dark out. lol Not to mention its gettin damn cold at night now! so...i started my METAL skid plate build.. STarted it tonight actually. Bottom was "Cribbed" up against bottom of machine, i ground and cleaned all my metal at the rear and placed the rear protector in place, and threw a couple tac welds on it. Then removed cribs, dropped it down, slid it out, and started laying some good beads on it. Now that its in place, and fits like i want it, i need to do some trimming, grinding and then place it back up against body and clean, measure, and mark where i want the front protector to be.

Along this journey, and build process..i thought about one thing. (during the skid build brainstorming..) Once i get the front piece in place and marked N stuff....once i tac it..im screwed. LOL i cant pull it down and out enough to get to back side....so i'm wandering if i should get one of guys from work to come over for a bit some evening with their service truck so that once i tac it, i can strap the attex, and pick it up off the skid..lol

i ALSO thought about driving attex upto the neighbors house and using his alignment rack OR one of this other post style racks to pick attex up off of it then slid it outta way, and sit it back down... Either way, ill get it accomplished..just thinkin ahead of time.

ill keep everyone upto speed on process!

-WagZ-

how thick?? how much weight you going to add to the old girl...

3/16th's thick. Didnt get an actual numbre on weight, but i'd say its a fair amount.. Less than 100 lbs without a doubt? Headed to sheets to get coffee and some diesel fuel for the furnace, then out to do some welding! YYYEAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread