Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

Ok guys, next project....

I NEED.. a 4 stroke motor, and the clutches, drive and driven.. So lets see what we can turn up. lol tired of this noisy, smelly damn 2 stroke motor..sure its awesome, but i hate it in the woods! lol What does everyone think about a single cylinder 16hp if i cannot find a good v-twin? any thoughts!? or Pointers to where i can find motor, and clutches?

Thanks guys!!

-WagZ-
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

I believe ri has clutches. I am currently looking at power plant upgrades myself and am most likely going with a Briggs myself. Some people swear that those Honda clones at harbor freight are worth it for the price. I a coupon that made the 16hp $300. the coupon was being sold on eBay, but I'm sure someone can mail you one if you can't find it and want to go that route. I just can't see making the compromise myself, but I have a almonds axle upgrade in the plans too so I want my machine turn key and bullet proof. on the other hand you can get 4 clones for the price of 1 vanguard. so its all in what you want for your machine.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Drew: Yah big 10-4 on the checkbook killer. Reason i asked bout the 16hp clones is, my mule has a single cylinder on it, and its a cvt based machine, and its goes fine, big hills are a killer, but ****, i aint lookin to race to the top. lol I was also looking at the clutches on ebay as well, and i mean, from what i can understand, i just need a DRIVE clutch, not the driven..correct?!..or would i have to change that as well? From what i gathered, i wouldnt HAVE to change the driven..but i may be wrong..ill need to do more research on this subject anyhow. Lets put our heads together n figure some **** out man! lol

-WagZ-

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

Quality Drive Systems
    He has clutches plus one more thing, knowledge. He can get you belts, clutches and is very knowledgeable on this subject, this is his business. You will have to call use the phone number on the site. He is in Ca. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Quality Drive Systems
    He has clutches plus one more thing, knowledge. He can get you belts, clutches and is very knowledgeable on this subject, this is his business. You will have to call use the phone number on the site. He is in Ca. Hope this helps.
    Thanks lewis! ANybody got any motors to sell yet?! lol

Wheels, Tires, adapters, all installed on the rig..looks way different. as for width gained, not much..maybe an inch total..however, tires now are a little higher as well, about an inch that way too. To bad i cant drive it yet huh!? lol...damnit! No pictures yet though, ill get em...no sweat..

Drew: You lucky dogs got tracks..psshh!! ALSO..as for the carb, ill get you measurements tomorrow..dood...i been busy as hell with work man! Ughh good god! lol Not to mention someone did a hit N run thsi morning on my car at sheetz..flippin mongoloid drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fluid-dood: Even though i gained about an inch outwards, (due to rim offset) i still dont see a set of tracks fitting under mine, however, between george, and drew, you'll get it all figured out..and if you dont..ill buy the tracks from ya. lol..and re-adapt to make my machine run em! lol

Well, next step of the build is a 4 stoke swap, and an "Oh-*****-dang!!" bar for passys!

I traded those tracks to Jpswift a while back.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I traded those tracks to Jpswift a while back.
    ahhh ok..well n/m than. lol btw..these knobbies i got look like their gonna throw some serious mud n dirt..and prolly the pinch bolts too..lol not so big on the idea of the rims being white, but i can fix that later..(spray bomb!!) besides, once it hits they mud, they'll turn brown anyhow! lol

Is that an inch on each side or a half inch on each side? What size tire did you put on there?
    The guy I bought this from ran the tracks for a winter and even with the balloons on, the only place they rubbed was that damn bulge for the clutch.If I can get an inch from the adapters and I can move that body in an inch I Think I'll be in business.
    I think the ballloon tires are 20" arent they? I dont want to get in trouble that direction too.
    You get that motor yet?
    I got a yardman rider in the garage that ins. will cover if you want to drive here and jack it!

my 65 inch balloons were like 19 tall if i recall correctly, which is why i bought 20x11x10's. i could have went with 22's by looks of things..but i didnt wanna press my luck seeing as the exhaust gets close on the RH side..i believe the 1 inch on each side that i gained, was from the offset of the rims. (2 inches total wider) the tires actually stick out past the side of the body now, by a little bit. (by this i mean, if you stood a "Strait Edge" on the ground, they'd hit the tires before they'd hit my wrap around body band..and its honestly an inch further out than original molded lips of the body..) HOWEVER...as i stated, i doubt tracks would clear the bulge with my current setup..

Here's a question..did the "Tracked" attexs come with a same size bulge in them as did non tracked styles?!..maybe they did somethign to the design since they took time to eliminate the muffler on the RH side?

+ Reply to Thread