Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

That is a good question...Hope someone can answer it.
    I'm thinking with the that inch and modifying the bulge a bit I would have enough clearance.
    You said the 20's are taller then the balloons were too? That wont work for the tracks so I would have to go with 19's maybe?
    Would this thing float with 19" tires on it?
    I'm gonna get a pic up of just where the tracks were rubbing.
    I didnt mean to highjack your thread here, sry man.
    If I could just get a number for the local Attex dealer I could get this all figured out!

Quote Originally Posted by fluiddude View Post
    That is a good question...Hope someone can answer it.
    I'm thinking with the that inch and modifying the bulge a bit I would have enough clearance.
    You said the 20's are taller then the balloons were too? That wont work for the tracks so I would have to go with 19's maybe?
    Would this thing float with 19" tires on it?
    I'm gonna get a pic up of just where the tracks were rubbing.
    If I could just get a number for the local Attex dealer I could get this all figured out!
    as long as there are no holes, any of these machines WILL float with no tires at all. the Tub is the "boat" portion. tires may add a bit of bouncy but not a ton. the amount of air in the tires is far less than that in the tub... especially considering that less than half the tire is in the water
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

No worries man! its cool.
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

Here's a couple picturs as promised!

update1.jpg

update2.jpg

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

well im back in business. New gaskets came this morning at about 10am...by 10:15 i was out beating my brains out in it..holy ****, talk about a ruff rider now! Dang! lol rode it about 10 mins or so, and wouldnt ya know it..the right rear axle flew out...CRAP! bearings took a dump..well, the outter bearing that is..inner was fine, just came loose off the shaft. Found some at local auto parts and re assebled. so..i took it out again and beat my brains out some more, along with the machine's brains and so far, so good...its still holdin up! lol Well...thats that for now...

Kinda debating to keep it or sell it and save for something newer..ive got the attex about all re done for the most part! lol just kinda thinkin bout the "newer" idea for the reason that sooner or later...attex parts will be hard to find...or.....someday....impossible...

ANYHOW, ill keep everyone upto speed on what i do next! lol....still huntin for my 4 stroke! haha

-WagZ-

Attex is the way to go. All parts are available, and if you went newer a max would be the way to go. They have the same tranny and are set up very similarly. You can actually fit some pretty big tires under your ride if you plug the original exhaust and run it out the top. I've contemplated selling my tomahawk but I would only get rid of it for a 980 or maybe a Max IV so the whole family can fit. The problem is like you said, they're not getting any more common, but it is the sexiest looking AATV ever made. At least in my opinion. The prices are not going down on Attex's either. You could use that machine the entire time your kids are growing up and sell et 15 years from now and make money. I had an old Honda CX500 motorcycle I bought, rode for 10 years, and then doubled my money on. You can't do that with a new machine.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

but it is the sexiest looking AATV ever made.
    FLippin Right boss!! lol

Yah..i know..i think soon ill be getting a motor for it...and a suspension seat maybe...my freakin body hurts..lol. although maybe that'll go away when i get the slower, calmer 4 stroke..i dunno...who knows! lol ill figure something out!

also, i agree on the max4...if i get one, it'll be a 4 passenger prolly, or atleast a 2 with seat belts n hang on bars! lol

my 300 dollar vtwin 16hp is on its way, next purchase is a clutch..any recommendations?

While the motor's out..i may as well tear out the trans, and dump it out/suck it out and put in NEW tranns fluid. While those are both out, i may as well replace some bearings too...and since im at it, i may as well flip the cock sucker over and patch soem holes and make a skid plate outta that BIG sheet of HDPE i bought a month ago. lol

once all back together, and motor is located in its proper position, ill need to fab up an exhaust! or buy one of them kits that FREQ was talkin bout...flanges atleast anyhow!

SO, all in all, the conversion is going slowly, but it IS going..WIth time, ill have me an attex thats been upgraded to present day creature comforts.. xcept for whippers springer kit..lol..still playin the scratch off tickets till i win enough to buy one..hahahahaha. maybe someday, but till then, imma keep doin what i do!

-WagZ-

Quote Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
    just kinda thinkin bout the "newer" idea for the reason that sooner or later...attex parts will be hard to find...or.....someday....impossible...
    What "parts" do you mean? Body parts, like the upper/lower tub, engine cover and footwell? Everything else is still being made, or can be made quite easily. The frame, bearings, sprockets, axles, flanges, chains, engine, transmission, belt, laterals, hubs, wheels, tires are all being made every day (or parts to make them are).

It's made out of metal, and they're still makin' metal.

Well, my 16hp vanguard Motor is here..it arrived with part of the box taped to it...yah...it started out in a box with a wooden frame N such, ended up in front of my garage, with part of the box taped to it, laying on its side..lol gotta love the ups ppl... clowns!!! well..now its time to do some clutch shopping..any suggestions guys?

The big project wont begin till after sept 24th, due to my boys party being in the garage, and the woman said i cant tear it apart till afterwards. So 25th, the carnage starts. It will start with tearing apart, cleaning out the old tranny fluid in the t20, flippin over the tub, patching some gash's, molding and installing my skid plate of HDPE, putting it back on its wheels (maybe a few bearing while everythings out too..) degreasing the entire inside of the tub, re-installing the trans, and then adapting motor to frame.. Then it'll be onto exhaust....ugh. lol...hpe i get it doen by time snow flys! lol
    Last edited by Mike; 09-09-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: language deleted ;)

+ Reply to Thread