Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Converting my chief to a modern Machine...

Oh, lol if you can get a one-wire cheap nevermind. I was going to suggest a cheaper option but sounds like you got a plan. Last time I priced a one-wire it was around $100 plus a core.

I will probably put a GM alt on mine too, I like to run a lot of lights....
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Cheaper option eh!? (as my knee's squeek on the way down to pick up a penny with my buttocks) Lets hear it buddy! lol

You know much bout the 1-wires? they internally regulated or they just pump raw amperage?

EDIT:Ya..just googled it..n/m..lol Guess thats why their 1 Wire Alternators eh? lol
    Last edited by mustangwagz; 10-17-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    I have officially caught the 6-wheel-sickness!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you better be Tough!"

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

BUY AMERICAN..or...BYE AMERICA!!!

Lol. No, I don't know much about alternators at all, but there is another GM alt that is cheaper than a one-wire you can use. I don't know the specific name, but it has 3 wires; one for the power to come from, and two for something else (idk) that are on a plastic plug. If I rember correctly, you run one wire off the plug to your ignition wire, and the other one goes right over to the power wire.

I know this is all pretty vague, but I used this setup on my go-cart, so I'll go have a look and get you a part number and some pics in the morning.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

At work now, but pretty sure on my home computer I have a few sites bookmarked on how to convert a 3-wire GM to a 1-wire GM. And yes the 3-wire are way cheaper, probably $5-$10 at local junkyard. Not sure about the price of a new one. Stonewall, a pic would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1937 View Post
    At work now, but pretty sure on my home computer I have a few sites bookmarked on how to convert a 3-wire GM to a 1-wire GM. And yes the 3-wire are way cheaper, probably $5-$10 at local junkyard. Not sure about the price of a new one. Stonewall, a pic would be awesome.
    Lets see some links or PM me the links..i dont think mike would mind posting the links in here for future use if someone wants to get crafty and do some fabbing, however, a quick PM to mike to ask would be a good idea. i dont like to post links without making sure its ok.

anyhhow, going to the garage, and gettin out my fluke to see what i come up with. ill report back later.

-WagZ-

"I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I'm now capable of doing practically anything with virtually nothing...."

Here's the one I have on my Go-cart. Just take the red wire from the plug directly over to the output wire, then the white wire back to the power side of your igintion switch! Works just as good as a 1 wire for about $50-60 with a core! (For a reman Delco)
    1974 Honda ATC 70

Ahhhhhhh, so all your really doing is (when you turn key on) supplying power to alternator to self-excite, then when you turn it off, it kills it, and prevents the battery from draining and the internal reg from frying. eh?

I honestly have no idea... That sounds good tho!! Lol. I just hooked it up like the guy at the hardware store said to, and it worked! If you hook it up to the wrong side of your ignition switch, you'll know because the engine will keep running when you turn the switch off..... (yes I did this...)
    1974 Honda ATC 70

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I honestly have no idea... That sounds good tho!! Lol. I just hooked it up like the guy at the hardware store said to, and it worked! If you hook it up to the wrong side of your ignition switch, you'll know because the engine will keep running when you turn the switch off..... (yes I did this...)
    lol, gotcha! my jlo was kinda same way..if it was running to high of an idle..(throttle cable would stick sometimes but i found the culprit..) it wouldnt shut down till i got off, opened hood and pulled on cable. Almost as if it was generating to much power to shut the ole girl down.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:...

Went out to garage, got out the fluke, dug up some assorted wire ends and found some to better accommodate my needs. 2 perfect fits for the stator plug, and a good aligator clamp for Battery+ on my DC check.. Results are as follows..

AC Signal from stator..
    @idle: 2-3 volts AC
    @WOT: 11-15 Volts AC

Now, in one of my earliers posts, i stated under 1 volt...i must have had a bad connection? Oh well, i got AC power there now. lol but...is it enough ya think?

DC Voltage Check via REd Wire from Regulator...
    @idle: none..
    @WOT:....none.....

SO...if i got power coming into regulator, but none coming out, (provided input is enough...and i figure it is?) I'd say my reg is Toast...plain toast for that matter too...no one likes plain toast.

SO..i guess ill be purchasing one..wish i could find it locally, however i can fortell some ebay purchasing real soon. lol

Whatta yinz think!?

Wow, sticker shock on the voltage regs. lol 31 bucks online and have it MAYBE by saturday? OR..goto local shop and pick one up for 75 bucks! HOLY BALLS! lol What do yinz think? if the local boys gimme a bad one, i know a good family friend who works there, can get it replaced for me. Or do i buy one online n bite the bullet?

Thoughts? lol

-WagZ-

+ Reply to Thread