Your Career or what you do day to day?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Career or what you do day to day?

Dkesonset - Petroleum Terminal Manager

Started working at Cities Service Company in 1978, at age 21 as a transport driver delivering gasoline to gas stations thru out Phila, - NJ area. Transferred to Madison, WI in 1984 as Asst. Terminal Manager, then promoted to Terminal Manager in Milwaukee, WI in 1987. Been there ever since. Now on my 33 year with CITGO. I manage pipeline receipts, Inventory, Safety, Security, and Environmental Compliance. Keep the transports loading the juice. And btw, no, I do not get free gasoline....or even a discount. I have to pay street prices....just like all of you do.

High School Math Teacher. Geometry to AP Calculus. Knew in 3rd grade i was going to be a teacher (or fighter pilot). Worst part about being a math teacher is being able to count how many wheels my attex has on it. Currently four. Three on one side only one on the other. That was a fun trip home. Used to work summers as a carpendar. Been at the same school since graduation college (11 years). Hopefully will retire there.

I'm a geologist. That usually elicits the response "So, you look at rocks?".

The easy answer, is yes.

The way-too-expensive-and-will-be-paying-off-till-I'm-50 pieces of paper on the wall say "Geology", but that's inclusive of a lot of different disciplines from Geomorphology to Crystallography/Minerology. I'm technically a Hydrogeologist ("hydromike" lame, I know....). I've worked for the same environmental consulting firm since grad school, and it's a pretty cool place. In a nutshell, we manage environmental issues for public and private entities and help them stay in compliance with state and federal regulations. The work ranges from performing geotechnical investigations for the temporary storage pads desinged to house the spent fuel rods for nuclear reactors (Yucca Mountain ain't gonna happen in time....) to just standing behind a drill rig in the dead of winter for months at a time. It usually shocks the driller when the dude logging the soil cores can diagnose a bearing in a Moyno pump that's about to go south.

I love to have an understanding of how things in the world work, and that ranges from plate tectonics to just about anything mechanical. I was a gearhead way before I was a rockhound, and I can't figure out if it's cooler digging a 420 million year old brachiopod out of the local fossil beds, or digging a 40 year old ATV out of the fence row.

Ok, I'll go but I have to be kind of vague due to heavy regulations of my industry. I work in consumer goods, and am a trade marketing rep for a fortune 500 company. So basically I drive around to gas stations, convienient stores, and other retailers and handle company relations with customers on all levels. I contract independent retailers, ensure contract components are in place with them as well as large chains, and talk to the end consumer about all the brands I am responsible for. Sounds pretty boring, but I get a 4x4 escape and have a huge rural area to drive around as I please as long as I get my work done. I make my own schedule as to where I go during the day, and some of the stuff I get to see is crazy.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

This is a pretty interesting topic!

Can't believe they stopped making the H3. What a great vehicle!!!

I work for the Dept. of Revenue of Pa. " B.I.D.M." Bureau of Imaging and Document Management. We process all the Documents generated by all other Pa. State Agency's, and reduce them to a Virtual Image.

Well at the ripe old age of 43, i have been retired for the past 4 years. After finishing high school I joined the Canadian Forces. I use to be an Ammunition Tech (use to blow things up and play with bombs....LOL). Retired after 201/2years and went back to school. I am now a registered massage therapist. Quite the career change i know. I now only work to pay for toys that i want. It is a hard life but someone has to retire early to enjoy life....

Guyfox

Grew up in dads shop : He worked on cars, everything but transmissions. Said he hated slush buckets, dunno how they work and didn't care.

Me: First go-kart at 8 years old. Modified and modified and modified.

Built a 20000$ race kart (electric), chromoly frame (i welded it) kevlar tub and a fiberglass body by age 17.

Made a driller in the oil feilds in Montana.

Moved to alaska, 2 years left in in a petroleum engineering degree.

Nothing is more satisfying than taking an unknown object, making it run again. I especially love the challenge of figuring out what it is and its history.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    I'm a geologist. That usually elicits the response "So, you look at rocks?".

The easy answer, is yes.

The way-too-expensive-and-will-be-paying-off-till-I'm-50 pieces of paper on the wall say "Geology", but that's inclusive of a lot of different disciplines from Geomorphology to Crystallography/Minerology. I'm technically a Hydrogeologist ("hydromike" lame, I know....). I've worked for the same environmental consulting firm since grad school, and it's a pretty cool place. In a nutshell, we manage environmental issues for public and private entities and help them stay in compliance with state and federal regulations. The work ranges from performing geotechnical investigations for the temporary storage pads desinged to house the spent fuel rods for nuclear reactors (Yucca Mountain ain't gonna happen in time....) to just standing behind a drill rig in the dead of winter for months at a time. It usually shocks the driller when the dude logging the soil cores can diagnose a bearing in a Moyno pump that's about to go south.

I love to have an understanding of how things in the world work, and that ranges from plate tectonics to just about anything mechanical. I was a gearhead way before I was a rockhound, and I can't figure out if it's cooler digging a 420 million year old brachiopod out of the local fossil beds, or digging a 40 year old ATV out of the fence row.
    Hey Mike I bet you didn't think anybody heard of a Moyno pump. AKA bent worm rotor with a rubber stator. Esplain how dat Moyno works again?

+ Reply to Thread