B&S Big Block in a Hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: B&S Big Block in a Hustler

Very cool....can't wait to see video! If you hit anywhere near 40mph, that is screaming fast! If you make it to Marengo we can check it on GPS. I have a serious case of motor envy.

BTW, are you using the socket head hex cap screws w/jam nut on your sprockets, or just the set screws? When I had just the set screws they backed out QUICK...then I sheared a key and was on foot. Never had a locking collar spin off, knock on wood...

I had the hustler out again yesterday, man, this thing is seriously fast. I shot some video and will post it as soon as I can get it to upload onto my computer. Would like to gps it if I can make it down to marengo.
    I used 1.25" set screws with lock nuts, have not had one come loose yet. Every time I hit the throttle I am waiting for something to break, though. There is a lot of torque through the drive line and I suspect I will find the weak link soon enough!

You can't tease us like that! I can't wait to see the video.

There's no reason now why you can't be the first Hustler on the Air Bud wall of fame. Need a good still shot. Go for it!

Whipper

"make it down to marengo"

Oh man, Marengo is starting to shape up..

There is a lot of torque through the drive line and I suspect I will find the weak link soon enough!

Uh Huh My overbuilt argo driveline doesn't seem so overbuilt any more. Your's is hangin' it WAY out there

Can't wait to see and hear yours. Congratulations on it being everything you hoped for. Am curious if you're going to E.C. for the dyno, didn't know if they were set up for a horizontal shaft.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

[QUOTE=whipper-ag;15111]There's no reason now why you can't be the first Hustler on the Air Bud wall of fame. Need a good still shot. Go for it!

I'm there! I will get the R&D team working on a ramp...

"Am curious if you're going to E.C. for the dyno, didn't know if they were set up for a horizontal shaft."

I have a friend who has a small 100 hp dyno in his racing shop down the street from my office, I was gong to try him first. EC is a little bit of a drive outside Nashville. By the way, George does these bi-yearly engine building clinics for the lawn mower racer guys. Might be fun to hit one of them in the fall. They are usually held on Saturdays and are free!
    I had to order some bs software from Sony for an older digital 8 video camcorder, so video will hopefully be up next week.

I had the Hustler out again last weekend, and was flogging it pretty hard in the mud when I heard a horrible noise form the T-20. I lost the left side drive, so I thought I had broken a drive band in the Trans but when I got it home and broke it down here is what I found...
    I thought that if something broke it would be a sprocket key; never expected this to happen!
    Besides that, I love the way this engine performs. It pulls hard from 1500 to 5000 rpms. I have the engagement on the clutch set at 2400 rpm's (a little high), and once it is engaged you can trail ride all day at slow speeds and it pulls like a mule, or open it up on the straits and get eye-watering speed. Top speed is around 40-45mph at 6000rpm, and I plan to change the gearing so the engine peaks at about 5k.
    Still working on the video; I have to send my camcorder back to Sony for repair, the output DV jack is wanked. Their tech support leaves a lot to be desired, next media purchase I think I will go with Cannon!
    Attached Images

You've been quiet lately, I was wondering 'wha happend', glad your alive and well.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Man, you really were laying the power to it. I'm like you, I never would have expected the sprocket to shear off like that before anything else broke.

Maybe Whipper can spline them for you. A snap ring would make gear changes a breeze.

+ Reply to Thread