How important is cool air ducting?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How important is cool air ducting?

How important is cool air ducting?

I'm going to run a 18hp B&S Vanguard is my Max II if I ever get it built. The Vanguard is a replacement engine so the originial ducting needed to come out. The engine compartment is nice and neat at the moment and at least though the test / trouble shooting phase I am not going to put in the ducting so I can get to everything for finial adjustments. I'm a middle aged guy who will be happy bumming around, I'm not racing anyone. Maryland has hot summers but not desert hot!
    OK so I know that the engine needs to be cooled but come on.. is all that tin really necessary? Is anyone running without it?
    1970's Max II
    2000 18hp B&S
    mis-mash of parts and pieces

edited, for lack of meaningful content
    Last edited by Roger S; 01-07-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superherojohn View Post
    I'm going to run a 18hp B&S Vanguard is my Max II if I ever get it built. The Vanguard is a replacement engine so the originial ducting needed to come out. The engine compartment is nice and neat at the moment and at least though the test / trouble shooting phase I am not going to put in the ducting so I can get to everything for finial adjustments. I'm a middle aged guy who will be happy bumming around, I'm not racing anyone. Maryland has hot summers but not desert hot!
    OK so I know that the engine needs to be cooled but come on.. is all that tin really necessary? Is anyone running without it?
    My MaxII has no ducting! I have a 16HP Vanguard and the only thing close to ducting is the air filter housing!

I have the 18 HP B&S in my Max II, and no ducting. It runs fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    edited, for lack of meaningful content
    How could ANYBODY not like this guy?

The Model Citizen

what happened was I read "is all that tin really necessary? Is anyone running without it?" and made an ASSumption of myself he meant the "tin" on the engine itself, which is a no-no to run without.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Duct

The duct is only needed with the internal muffler.
    "How deep of water does it float in?"

ducting

I have never actually seen a Max II with a B&S engine so some of my questions my be a little simple minded.

Here is a link to richard's showing a 25hp Max with a ton for cool air ducting. To be honest with you, I didn't want to build it.

Welcome to Richard's Relics Parts for ATV's
    1970's Max II
    2000 18hp B&S
    mis-mash of parts and pieces

The colder the air entering any engine, the denser it is, meaning the more oxygen it holds, meaning the more fuel it can burn, meaning the more power you can get at the same compression. Whether or not you achieve a noticeable gain on an 18hp B&S or not, I do not know, but it's not a question of whether or not an engine will work (as long as it's correctly jetted for whatever intake it has).

My new Max II has the ducting, which is basically a large plastic snorkel and a rubber vibration fitting attaching it to the engine. It bolts to the tub in four places to keep it from shaking all over the place.

It gets plenty hot under the lid, though the new Maxxes come with the internal muffler, as previously mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread