Registering and Licensing an AATV in Ontario

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Registering and Licensing an AATV in Ontario

I tried State Farm out of Barrie. An ATV dealer here had good luck with them in the past. They were willing to take me, but auto insurance would have gone up almost $3200..currently paying $1718. House insurance too would have been much higher. Similar story with other brokers. Not sure, but i think one broker told me Primmum won't insure amphibs. THis is frigging frustrating. And dealers i have spoken to insist these machines don't have to be insured, registered, etc. I doubt we'll have much luck changing the situation without the dealers.

Um...i found on the Argo site something that said the manufacturer was working with an insurer to make sure users get coverage. Anybody else hear about this? ANy chance this could happen in Canada?

man thats nasty.i got insurance through same company we have house and hunt camp with.(not primmum)
    real pain in the ass switching stuff around but i made it work.and yes in ontario these machines must be registered and insured unless its your own private property.

thanks, Plott hound. I tried state Farm through an agent in Barrie. Don't know for sure if it was State Frm she was proposing to hook me up with, but no matter. Again - i could get insurance but my auto would go up to $3200 from $1700. Wifely won't let that pig fly!

try palmer insurance.they are in fenelon falls.

Hello Dromas...... I tried the 1-800 number you listed however it comes back as unavailable. Do you have another number for either Bev or Tasha in Dryden... I can only find a Thunder Bay number.

thanks
    Guy

(807) 223-7333 try that not toll free but will work for sure

Thank you Dromas for the new number......there is hope yet.....

I have learnt that Primmum and TDInsurance is one and the same........ both have an internet site that allows for on line quotes. They list the Argo as an ATV..... they have my Response listed and came out with a decent quote.. I called TD and they told me they could not ensure because of the 7 digits vin......OGD was contacted and could offer nothing other than the vin is the vin is the vin. On calling TD back....to check on the vin.....they then told me that they do not insure amphibious vehicle. I then challenged them about the internet site...the quotes etc.... reluctantly the operator (bottom of totem pole) admitted the internet set site should not list ATVs they do not cover. He stated that the file would be brought to the attention of a supervisor....not to hold my breath...
    My insurance agent.... who told me my Argo was insured then sucked back a week later gave me a reference. I contacted the new agen who advised me that for about $900. he could insure my Argo in my back yard only.
    My sense is that the insurance industry does not have a clue what the Argo is and have not taken any interest in it.
    PS: I contacted a local Argo dealer who told me their local insurance used PRIMMUM........so much for that lead.

Guy

same deal with Pembridge..great auto rates, no go on max. have lead with Dominion; it would result in an extra $500 on auto, then extra $182 for Max. Lombard is another one..auto increase about $200, Max around $150. But they want house too, and they jacked that up too so total increase in insurance is around $1700. WHy do feel like I'm getting screwed, but not getting kissed?

argo Insurance Ontario

Let it be known that effective immediately, my 8 wheel argo is insured in the Provnce of Ontario.

I have over the last two weeks been in contact with just about everyone in the insurance industry. From Thunder Bay to Toronto the answer was basically the same.

A) Yes we will insure..... $900. a year and you can not leave your yard.
    B) Yes we will insure..... but we want the house, the car, the truck and anything else you can insure..... at a raised premium.
    C) What is an Argo..... No we don"t insure that.

After multiple calls to TDInsurance at tel#1 877 887 8886 I found a supervisor who went through the books with me. TDInsurance and Primmum are one and the same in Ontario. Remember that on the Online insurance quote, TDInsurance lists my Argo and Response as a vehicle they would insure.... She found that in the first book... the Argo... fits the description of an Amphibious vehicle and not insurable. Yet in another book she found that an ATV with amphibious qualities could be insured. No Water Protection is included....they include a disclaimer if the ATV is used on water....

I asked her for a reference number so that other members could connect with TDInsurance. She said that such a number was not available but that if requests are met with negative responses, that a supervisor should be asked for and clarifications made. She said that she would make sure that our concerns are addressed on the floor where the calls are received.

Anyone can access TDInsurance on the internet..... following simple prompts will allow you to enter your Argo specs and get an online quote......

Let me know how you make out.

Guy

good to hear glad it worked out for you.. this sounds like a step in the right direction for argos in ontario

+ Reply to Thread