UHMW tracks with covers.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: UHMW tracks with covers.

T.
    I believe I have a supplier for conveyor now.
    Questions
    If I lay the grouser flat, I must either:
    ...machine in two dimensions (trying to avoid),
    ...or I can cut from 2" material, to maintain a 1x2" maximum dimension (out near the edges, laying flat on it's 2" face, 3/16ths in the center)
    ...or I can use 1" material, similar to your current design. ( I am sure this is the way, but seems so small)

I am getting bids on the machining. I can't tell yet if the tradoff of conveyor belt, and less expensive manufacturing is going to be worthwhile. If so, it may be, as you say, attractive to owners of less expensive machines, or on a tighter budget. Maybe I will have to call them "pretty ok tracks" or something.

If it's 2d I can do this up on my laser machine. I'd have to test first to see if I can make it through a 1" block, but I should be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by MIteyMT View Post
    T.
    Questions
    ...or I can cut from 2" material, to maintain a 1x2" maximum dimension (out near the edges, laying flat on it's 2" face, 3/16ths in the center)
    ...or I can use 1" material, similar to your current design. ( I am sure this is the way, but seems so small)

I am getting bids on the machining. I can't tell yet if the tradoff of conveyor belt, and less expensive manufacturing is going to be worthwhile. If so, it may be, as you say, attractive to owners of less expensive machines, or on a tighter budget. Maybe I will have to call them "pretty ok tracks" or something.
    Hi Aaron,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, I was on the road all day yesterday and didn't have time to reply. The grouser could be made from 1" thick material, but that is shorter than the adair track so you will will want to increase the width of the part to about an inch-in-a-half or 2 inches wide which would help make the part stronger since it is not as tall. It will also help stabilize the lug during impact. You should also machine the nut and washer down into the grouser so there is no fear of contacting the inside of the fender with metal. Another method would be to use carriage bolts and run it from the outside in so that the smooth head is facing the inside of the fender to reduce the chance of tub damage.

As far as belting...it is generally rated in plys and each layer is designed to provide about 75 lbs strength per inch....so a two layer thick belt will provide about 150 pounds tinsel strength per inch of width...a four inch wide belt that is two ply will provide about 600 pounds worth of tinsel strength but that is before you start to punch holes in it and tear the fibers. This might be similar to a sidewall on a good tire..pretty strong until a cord breaks or it gets cut or torn. You also have to consider that a belt is not designed for a lot of abraision resistance, and that is one of the good things that the designers of the escargo track accomplished was to lift the belting up off the ground where it could no longer provide much floation, but it was less likley to get cut on rocks or debris while turning. The rubber coating can be specified in different thicknesses and that is not intended to increase strength, but to protect the fibers from abration and failure. Also other considerations are weight, cost, and attachment method (which can often cost more than the belting itself) and you can see why we developed a track using chain. Even the cheap standard 3/16" chain we started with provided a tinsel strength of 880 lbs (the new custom chain we now use is over 5 times that) and you can guess which method would be easier to cut on a sharp rock or with your pocket knife. In my opinion it is lighter stronger and easier to replace when necessary..and I don't think that it is as prone to immediate failure while out in the bush. It may not be the perfect soultion, but I do think that it has advantages over the other methods I've considered (hint...another fun thing to think about is heavy duty 2" wide ratchet strap material).

Hope this helps,

Tim
    Last edited by Obsessed; 09-07-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeman View Post
    If it's 2d I can do this up on my laser machine. I'd have to test first to see if I can make it through a 1" block, but I should be able to.
    Beeman,

Let us know if that works. I would caution you that cutting UHMW on a laser produces smoke and the cleaning of your lenses and repair bills might suprise you. If you have a water jet, that would be a better option, but both machines are limited to 2 dimentional cuts and all of these parts are more complex than that.

Just my 2 ยข worth,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MIteyMT View Post
    T.
    Questions

Did you ever reveal your belting source? I am looking to DIY tracks for my Centaur in 2020. Mike in Northern MI.

Quote Originally Posted by mtims101 View Post
    Did you ever reveal your belting source? I am looking to DIY tracks for my Centaur in 2020. Mike in Northern MI.
    In the future, please do not reply to threads that have been inactive for nearly 10 years. You can try sending a PM or creating a new thread to discuss with users who are still active on the site.

Closed Thread