jlo 399 spark/magneto trouble

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: jlo 399 spark/magneto trouble

jlo 399 spark/magneto trouble

Hello, I've been trying to fix a spark problem on a jlo 399.
    I have spark on one side but not the other. When i put new plugs in I did get spark but the next day it was dead again.
    I know the coils are good(switched sides and both work fine) I pulled the flywheel and cleaned and set the points. Both side do complete the circut when i measure resistance across the point leads.
    Both leads from the poinst do produce voltage.
    I am at a complete lose here as I feel this shouldnt be that hard to figure out.
    Does any one know of or have info on trouble shooting/testing the magneto for this thing? Any ideas would be greatly apreciated,I scratching my head here.

There is a trouble shooting seciton in the jlo manual in the literature section of the site. It's pretty basic stuff that you've probably already tried but it may be worth a read: jlo 2 stroke manual

Click on the table of contents and then you can find the page you need.

Thanks mike,yeah i read through it.
    I cleaned it up and have good spark and again... I dont get it, the wiring is all new, only thing i can think of is dirt is gounding it somehow?
    Guess ill run it for awhile before i go in the backwoods!

Are the spark plugs fouling out?

Hey fluidude, had the same problem with my Kohler 399. Make sure that the high-voltage lead from the external coil to the plug is tight on both ends. Also make sure that the internal coils are still in good shape. Also, check that there is tension on the spring on the breaker points and the condition of the condensers. My main problem was with the points and coils. The ground could be bad too. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread