Your experiences please, Track rubber/conveyor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your experiences please, Track rubber/conveyor

Your experiences please, Track rubber/conveyor

I am trying to select an appropriate conveyor belt for my track idea, and I have no idea which to choose.

What type/thickness would you recommend?
    What problems have you had?
    Do you think that a piece of rubber conveyor belt bonded to a thin layer of plastic would have issues?

I found a link to a conveyor belt fastener company in the homemade track forum, and I will probably use them.

extra credit:
    An idea that my dad had was something akin to seal skins on skis, that would stand up against the grain (he thought almost like directional nylon carpet, or nylon rods on a fabric. Is there such a material?

I don't know what the original use was for this Conveyer, but I can tell you its tough as nails and Freakin HEAVY. One of these tracks is easily twice as heavy as a Supertrack.

Yes, I think a layer of plastic bonded to rubber will have issues. Guaranteed they will have different expansion co-efficients, and will fight each other for growth and contraction in changing temps. I could see the layer of plastic taking a beating and cracking before too long.

For the extra credit, I think I can see what you are thinking, and don't really have an answer. But, anything that would work like that to give traction in one direction, would maybe be a little "slippery" in the other direction. Lets say your moleskin gives good traction when climbing hills,..........is it not going to act like a Crazy Carpet when going down a hill?
    Just thinking

RD

That rubber does not quite look like it's a half inch thick, and I can see it has nylon strands?
    On the seal skin, yup, you are right, I thought of it wrong. I was trying to think of a way for it to be slick on the top side, returning, and tread water on the bottom side, advancing. The idea is not a good one.
    What about a belly that looked liked the header of a draper swather. Imagine the vehicle belly, halved laterally, with each half having an axle driven conveyor belt, gear reduced to match ground speed, so that your entire belly is a drive surface. Ground clearance would be reduced, traction surface and weight increased, swimming surfaces increased dramatically. There would have to be a barrier between the top and bottom to prevent binding when you drive over high spots. I would think it would be cool for snow and water, but perhaps troublesome for dry land.

Quote Originally Posted by MIteyMT View Post
    That rubber does not quite look like it's a half inch thick, and I can see it has nylon strands?

What about a belly that looked liked the header of a draper swather. Imagine the vehicle belly, halved laterally, with each half having an axle driven conveyor belt, gear reduced to match ground speed, so that your entire belly is a drive surface. Ground clearance would be reduced, traction surface and weight increased, swimming surfaces increased dramatically. There would have to be a barrier between the top and bottom to prevent binding when you drive over high spots. I would think it would be cool for snow and water, but perhaps troublesome for dry land.
    I sent a PM, but to continue the conversation here, Yes, the belt material on my Rubber tracks is just a bit under 1/2" thick and it does indeed have Nylon type strands through it.

I would be lying through my teeth if I said I had any clue what a "Draper Swather Header" looked like, but I think I understand what you are getting at. Yrs ago I remember talking to a few guys about a similar idea we were tossing around. At the time, we were discussing Quads, and a way to get them to slide over rocks better, but I don't remember anything about having it "powered". The idea fell to the back burner when we couldn't really come up with an idea on how to make it work.

Checking out your link right now

RD

Looks similar to the "Tracks" I have, but with a MUCH more aggresive tread. The fasteners are identical to what I have on mine.

RD

what tire are you running inside your track. I have really been wondering if I can get away with a 2 ply maxxis 2 ply "for snow" or other low priced tire, if I run tracks continuously.

I have quite a lot of 22" Runamucks, so I use them in the tracks. I do have a less expensive "knobby" style tire on my trailers, but I suspect that they will be easier to push off the bead if I were to run them inside tracks. Don't know for sure, as I have never tried it.

I don't have an EXCESSIVE amount of Runamucks, but they are not too hard to come by ever since so many guys around here have swapped out to 24" Frontiers on their Conquests.

RD

Reviving an old thread - how do these tracks work? I have a line on a bunch of that same belting and was thinking of making a set of tracks for my avenger.

I am trying to select an appropriate conveyor belt for my track idea, and I have no idea which to choose.

What type/thickness would you recommend?
    What problems have you had?
    Do you think that a piece of rubber conveyor belt bonded to a thin layer of plastic would have issues?

I found a link to a conveyor belt fastener company in the homemade track forum, and I will probably use them.

extra credit:
    An idea that my dad had was something akin to seal skins on skis, that would stand up against the grain (he thought almost like directional nylon carpet, or nylon rods on a fabric. Is there such a material?
    ???? Anyone ???

+ Reply to Thread